Thread: Regarding work experience in an area of long term skill shortage

Default Regarding work experience in an area of long term skill shortage

Hi guys,

The nature of my role under my current employment is embedded software design for automotive electronic system, which conceptually doesn't belong to ICT, but to engineering indeed. And also according to the specification in ANZSCO, I believe my role better matches 233411 electronics engineer, rather than software engineer. However, the problem is: my formal title in my company is "software engineer", (although it's more like an electronics engineer in terms of nature) and I think it is gonna be put at a remarkable place on the employment certificate if I get one from my company, which I'm afraid will mislead the immigration officer. How to convince the officer that my occupation is electronics engineer but not software engineer? Has anyone encountered similar problems that the title doesn't match the nature of the role?
    Last edited by JeffreyShin; 17th September 2014 at 06:42 AM.

As long as you get the company, or a colleague, to give a full description of the responsibilities you have, this slight problem can be got round. The job title you currently have doesn't matter. (After all, an employer can call a job anything he feels like, and it doesn't have to match up to anything, or be descriptive at all - e.g. 'Room 12 supervisor', or 'assistant to Mr Brown'.) Therefore, it's the job descriptions, giving the range of skills used, responsibilities taken and qualifications required for each employment, which will be taken into consideration by NZQA.