Thread: Please help with NZ work visa for electrician

Default Please help with NZ work visa for electrician

Hi, I'm an electrician living in Christchurch on a working holiday visa. It has nearly expired and I'm wondering what the best way to go about getting a work visa is. I know that I need to get a police check from home (England) - which I am sorting out tonight. Then I'm going to get a medical ASAP. Was just wondering if anyone knew how long it takes and if I need any kind of NZ electrical licensing (which I do not have). Any help would be very very much appreciated. I am 27 by the way, incase it makes a difference.

Thanks in advance,
    Chris.

Hi there

Yes, you will need a license. Contact EWRB. Depending on your qualification they may be able to grant with a practicing license. http://www.ewrb.govt.nz/

Sadly, a really good contact at EWRB, Paul McGrail, passed away recently. Their recent advice has not been so helpful to migrants. You should be though asking about a provisional licence, and whether you can work under an employer licence. If you are working specifically for an electrical firm , rather than a general building trades firm that should be easier.