Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: About benefits

Default About benefits

For new resident visa owners, which benefits could be applied?
    such as accommodation supplement and childcare assistance?

Default About benefits?

Quote Originally Posted by angelajunbo View Post
    For new resident visa owners, which benefits could be applied?
    such as accommodation supplement and childcare assistance?
    Not sure I understand the question completely? You are entitled to the same health care benefits as citizens. You should qualify for the 20 hrs ECE(early childhood education) weekly for preschool age children. Just check with the day-care/kindy. Accommodation supplement..never heard of that. You pay your own rent/mortgage.

Do not take offence but you want to be able to afford your daily living expenses over here before you move, not planning on relying on the welfare system of a country you have not paid taxes in. I am not trying to be rude but I think you should want to come here and pay your way.(by you I mean your family, spouse whoever). Good luck and well done on getting your residency.

Quote Originally Posted by Hagabel View Post
    Do not take offence but you want to be able to afford your daily living expenses over here before you move, not planning on relying on the welfare system of a country you have not paid taxes in. I am not trying to be rude but I think you should want to come here and pay your way.(by you I mean your family, spouse whoever). Good luck and well done on getting your residency.
    Hagabel, I do believe you are not trying to be offensive here and personally, I take your point and agree with it to a certain extent. However, something to think about is that some people, in some parts of the world, do not have the opportunities that those who migrate to NZ from wealthy nations have. The cost of education, visas and the connected requirements, and all other processes related to getting one's self and family from that part of the world to the opportunity one seeks by moving to NZ can be huge compared to those who move from the Europe or the US. Sometimes, for those people who work very hard to achieve this opportunity, it is mathematically impossible to achieve the financial stability to afford daily living expenses. They may be struggling in an economic condition that means there is no other choice. It's a good idea for people to know what government services are available to them to help them achieve the financial independence that they are most likely seeking by coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwieagle View Post
    Hagabel, I do believe you are not trying to be offensive here and personally, I take your point and agree with it to a certain extent. However, something to think about is that some people, in some parts of the world, do not have the opportunities that those who migrate to NZ from wealthy nations have. The cost of education, visas and the connected requirements, and all other processes related to getting one's self and family from that part of the world to the opportunity one seeks by moving to NZ can be huge compared to those who move from the Europe or the US. Sometimes, for those people who work very hard to achieve this opportunity, it is mathematically impossible to achieve the financial stability to afford daily living expenses. They may be struggling in an economic condition that means there is no other choice. It's a good idea for people to know what government services are available to them to help them achieve the financial independence that they are most likely seeking by coming here.

Good points raised, and no, I was definitely not trying to offend or be rude. I just would hate for someone to come half way round the world and be struggling in a country that is foreign(initially) to them, and may be less family support.

and your average kiwi should pick up the cost because?

bob

Quote Originally Posted by bob_the_engineer View Post
    and your average kiwi should pick up the cost because?

bob
    Well, that's complicated isn't it? Our tax system already provides a basic level of welfare to struggling citizens and residents to help them get back on their feet or to give them the opportunities when they fall behind so that they don't starve. All people who are citizens and residents, who work, including new residents, pay in to this system. Some of the benefits, like housing allowances and working for families are more like tax credits.
    The idea of "should" will be one of personal preference. I'd rather have a strong welfare system than starving people. I'm sure we could get in a long and protracted debate about economic policies, jobs, wages, and the kind of society we'd like to live in. However, the fact still remains, citizens and residents have a right to access the welfare system outlined in the links above and do not need to be ashamed if they need to avail themselves of the benefits they have a right to under the law.

Well, that's complicated isn't it? Our tax system already provides a basic level of welfare to struggling citizens and residents to help them get back on their feet or to give them the opportunities when they fall behind so that they don't starve. All people who are citizens and residents, who work, including new residents, pay in to this system. Some of the benefits, like housing allowances and working for families are more like tax credits.
    The idea of "should" will be one of personal preference. I'd rather have a strong welfare system than starving people. I'm sure we could get in a long and protracted debate about economic policies, jobs, wages, and the kind of society we'd like to live in. However, the fact still remains, citizens and residents have a right to access the welfare system outlined in the links above and do not need to be ashamed if they need to avail themselves of the benefits they have a right to under the law.
    I disagree... I really don't think you are in tune with the opinion on the ground in NZ regarding this matter..
    BTW there are/were? rules about what new residents could get, from memory a limit of two or three years before you can even ask for assistance.... maybe that changed, I hope not!

bob
    Last edited by bob_the_engineer; 25th September 2014 at 02:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_the_engineer View Post
    I disagree... I really don't think you are in tune with the opinion on the ground in NZ regarding this matter..
    Feel free to disagree but I'm not exactly sure with what you are disagreeing, bob.

Opinions "on the ground" are complex, nuanced, and mixed. I know people, in my community, who use the Childcare and OSCAR subsidy so they can work, who avail themselves of the Working for Families tax credit, who occasionally need the Accomodation Subsidy to help them survive, and who need the Community Services Card to help them with health care costs. They are not shunned in my community. They are not outcasts.

I volunteer to run a local sport club. We have families who can't afford to pay the subs. A local sport organisation, funded by the council, has a subsidy program for these families. Nobody laments or complains to me about this situation. In fact, often, I don't realise which families have a difficult time and someone else in the community will suggest to me that they might need help.

I realise this is just a tiny little slice of one section of NZ but, according to my experience with local friends and acquaintances, and various family members who live around the nation, I think this is not unusual.

It looks as though you have to be a Permanent Resident to be eligible for benefits.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast