Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions regarding Tokoroa- areas to live in and areas to avoid

Default Suggestions regarding Tokoroa- areas to live in and areas to avoid

Hi all!
    Any suggestions regarding safe areas to live in Tokoroa would really be appreciated. I have two children (9 & 11 yr) and would be attending primary/intermediate school. Is there Asian community (especially Indians) living in Tokoroa?
    Are there some areas those really need to be avoided?
    Thanks

Default ?????????

Quote Originally Posted by shahid_bh View Post
    Hi all!
    Any suggestions regarding safe areas to live in Tokoroa would really be appreciated. I have two children (9 & 11 yr) and would be attending primary/intermediate school. Is there Asian community (especially Indians) living in Tokoroa?
    Are there some areas those really need to be avoided?
    Thanks
    Not a single response yet, suggestions badly needed!!!!!!!!

I would imagine the reason no one has replied is because maybe no one on this forum lives there or knows anything about it. All I know about it is that it is a major timber town.
    I would suggest you look here to get as much info as you can. I appreciate its not the same as someone living there but every bit of information helps.

https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=to...I6GN8Qe-x4GgCQ

Does it have to be Tokoroa?

There could be 1-2 members living in Tokoroa but you can't expect them to be online right now or even active. Tokoroa seems a pleasant enough town though I don't see anything really special about it. It makes for a convenient route if you travel down from Auckland to Taupo and beyond, as it is more direct and saves about 15-20 mins on the journey. It bypasses Rotorua which is a much larger town, nearest to it.

If you have to live in Tokoroa for employment purposes, then I would suggest you contact your employers for suggestions on where to live and the schooling.

Quote Originally Posted by batgirl1001 View Post
    Tokoroa seems a pleasant enough town

Have you spent any time there at all? I have a couple of friends who work there; they commute from Hamilton. It is a town that has seen better days, as evidenced by the declining population.

Lived there for a while a few years back. Town is a little run down in parts and has a bad reputation. Met some nice people there as well some less nice (like everywhere). Tight knit community ("We look after our own!"). Northern part of town slightly better than the rest. It's basically smack in the middle of nowhere; shortish drive to Taupo, Rotorua, Hamilton, Tauranga. Very nice swimming pools

Quote Originally Posted by 72andsunny View Post
    Have you spent any time there at all? I have a couple of friends who work there; they commute from Hamilton. It is a town that has seen better days, as evidenced by the declining population.
    It was a pleasant enough pit stop but one in which I have no desire to live. To put in perspective, population decline in regional cities and towns is everywhere in NZ. Dunedin, Invercargill etc are experiencing it as well. I believe if we look at statistics 55% of NZ's population are living in the 3 big cities alone.

Quote Originally Posted by batgirl1001 View Post
    It was a pleasant enough pit stop but one in which I have no desire to live. To put in perspective, population decline in regional cities and towns is everywhere in NZ. Dunedin, Invercargill etc are experiencing it as well. I believe if we look at statistics 55% of NZ's population are living in the 3 big cities alone.
    Invercargill and Dunedin are both growing; if you compare 2013 census data to 2006, both have grown a few percent. Tokoroa has had close to a 10% reduction in population during that time. It is noticeable if you walk around the town, or go looking for abandoned houses. I don't even like stopping there on the way to Auckland; it's sort of creepy. Taupo, Tirau, and Cambridge make for much better lunch spots.

The places in NZ that are declining in population are generally places with few redeeming qualities (save for cheap housing). Young people move away for work (and nightlife) and have no desire to ever return.

It's such a dump. I'd rather Tirau or Putararu if pushed but if it's where you have to go for work as a foot on the ladder, so be it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast