Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Family References

Default Family References

Hi,

I have already got my EOI approved and is currently collecting all the relevant documents. I understand that we can provide family references to further support the submission, but what kind of references will do? What contents and any samples?

I am getting my sibling who is already a NZ resident to provide the referece. Please advise.

Thanks.

what do you mean? There is no such thing as a family reference> Are you trying to claim points for "Close Family Support in New Zealand?"

Hi ChrisMwn,

Maybe i got mis-understood, I think is support letter for partnership. I am not sure if I still need that since I am already married with 2 kids age 5 & 3. Is the support letter still neccessary? I am just afraid I may not have sufficient evidence with both names on the same bills/letters for the past 12 months.

Quote Originally Posted by darzren View Post
    Hi ChrisMwn,

Maybe i got mis-understood, I think is support letter for partnership. I am not sure if I still need that since I am already married with 2 kids age 5 & 3. Is the support letter still neccessary? I am just afraid I may not have sufficient evidence with both names on the same bills/letters for the past 12 months.
    The letter of support has nothing to do with the fact that you are married or have children. The main thing to remember is that you have to show that for the last 12 months, you have lived together in a stable relationship. Bills are good, mail addressed to you both, and yes, I think letters of support from friends/family can help, but anything showing financial interdependence will be more helpful.

I had the same problem regarding this issue. Singaporean partners don't always have joint accounts or bills together; it's actually quite common as we usually handle financial matters separately . I think INZ does know this. For us, we just handed in the marriage certificate and hoped it was enough. It was, no questions asked. For good measure, throw in any property you owned together (for example your HDB flat which you can just print out online). And that should be more than enough.

I have seen you say this before, batgirl1001, and you'll excuse me if I say to darzren that that is an extremely rare thing. The majority of people who have had to prove partnership have to submit far more evidence than that. Please see these old threads. https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=si...BOTH8gfApILIAg Also, official sources. https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=im...JOTH8gfApILIAg

a marriage certificate and children birth certificates wont "cut the mustard". You have to provide some other evidence of your relationship and evidence that you are currently living together, and have for 12 months. If you don't have bills, or joint bank accounts, then other mail addressed to you at same address, evidence of common travel, photos, anything that shows you are together. As a minimum 8-10 "documents". As a last resort letters from friends and family confirming that they have known you as a couple for at least 12 months and that you are currently together.

Don't be afraid. Give what you can and if INZ ask, explain to them the situation. They are relating from their own experience (as am I too) but in the end there is considerable discretion when it comes to providing "supporting evidence". Really if you don't have much, you don't have much. Coincidentally this is quite common for Singapore applicants.

Quote Originally Posted by batgirl1001 View Post
    I had the same problem regarding this issue. Singaporean partners don't always have joint accounts or bills together; it's actually quite common as we usually handle financial matters separately . I think INZ does know this. For us, we just handed in the marriage certificate and hoped it was enough. It was, no questions asked.
    I have the feeling we've been through this before? As others have pointed out, a marriage certificate by itself will not be enough. It does not prove a relationship, it only proves that you got married at some point.

Hi! in our case, I had 4 friends, colleagues and relatives sign an affidavit that states:

they had known me and my husband for _____ years,
    that they were witnesses to our wedding last _____
    and that we have a 4 years old daughter named ________
    and that they can attest that my husband and I had been married for ____ years and have been living together at __________ since _______

with their signature, address and contact details

then we had it notarized.

We submitted this together with our marriage certificate, car registration & insurance (the only thing that we co-owned) and photos of family vacations.

It worked for us.
    Last edited by iyagene; 23rd September 2014 at 03:47 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast