Thread: Parent category Residency

Default Parent category Residency

Hello All,

We have got our Residency and are now in NZ.
    Just wanted to get some inputs on getting my parents here;

1. The NZ Immigration site says to sponsor parents, applicant needs to be 03 years of Resident here.
    Does it mean 03 Years of Residency or 03 Years of Permanent Residency?

2. If i was to apply Tier-1 for parents, how long would the EOI selection take?

3. will immigration look at my type of work here in NZ , eg. Permanent employment or contract employment and will this have impact on the result?

Thanks in advance.

1.Three years from starting living in NZ on a Residence visa. (Though you may have gone onto PR in the meantime.)

2. It hasn't really been going long enough to be predictable. There's a thread running for people who're applying, but there aren't very many of them yet.

3. Immigration NZ will look at your income up to the date of the application, and will want to know that it's likely to be sustainable, from whatever source(s).

Thank you JandM.
    Another question, i understand my parents can be sponsored by me for visiting and staying with me in NZ on Visitor's Visa.

How much long is this visitor visa given for(duration)? and can it be on a longer continuous stretch,say for an year and over.

There is the Parent/Grandparent multiple entry visitor visa. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/ (Go to Temporary Entry Class Visa>Special Categories of Visitors>V3.110 Parent and grandparent multiple entry visitor visa) This would allow you to sponsor your parents to be in NZ for 18 months out of the following three years, six months at a time with a trip (even short) out of the country between each six months.

Notice, if you did this and they were with you for eighteen months, they would not then be eligible to come back on any kind of visitor visa for a further eighteen months after that. They could space the timing of their visits differently, so the total of 18 months in NZ was spread more evenly over the three years.

Thank you JandM.
    That indicates, my parents can be sponsored for multiple entry but they can only stay as long as Six months on a continuous basis?

Sorry, i am a bit confused on the 18 months thing, tried reading the link as well.
    If they are with me for full 18 months ( with continuous stay of months each followed by short exit, if this understanding is correct) , they stand no chance for visitor visa unless another 18 months pass through for them outside of NZ.

Also, appreciate if people who have applied for parent category visa sponsorship help with some information.

- how long does the EOI for parent category take in terms of selection ( especially tier-1, tier-2 i read is uptil 07 years)
    ( please correct me if my understanding above for tier-2 is wrong )

- how long does it take for the decision on residency,after the EOI gets selected for tier-1 and ITA is given

- Do parents have to undergo interviews as we have in SMC

- What is their english language requirements.

Thanks in advance.

If they are with me for full 18 months ( with continuous stay of months each followed by short exit, if this understanding is correct) , they stand no chance for visitor visa unless another 18 months pass through for them outside of NZ.
    That's right - they could be with you for six months (trip abroad), six months (trip abroad), and six months, then would have to go out of NZ and could not enter as a visitor, nor apply for another parent/grandparent visitor for another 18 months.

- how long does the EOI for parent category take in terms of selection ( especially tier-1, tier-2 i read is uptil 07 years)
    ( please correct me if my understanding above for tier-2 is wrong )

- how long does it take for the decision on residency,after the EOI gets selected for tier-1 and ITA is given
    As I said above, it hasn't really been going long enough to be predictable. There's a thread running for people who're applying http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=38535, and some are already in, but there aren't very many of them yet.

There's no interview. It's assumed that the sponsoring adult child will look after the parents and settle them in as necessary.

However, each parent must give proof of English ability. The minimum requirement is an IELTS average of 4, or it can be proved in other ways (for instance if they had their education in English or used English in their work). If they can't show such proof, they have to pre-purchase ESOL courses, to study after they arrive. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/46407.htm

Until the last draw, just about everyone in Tier One was selected at the first opportunity. In the August draw though, only people who had got their EOI in by the beginning of July were selected. Lookng at the numbers still left in the Pool, I suspect that we are heading to a situation where people might be selected around 4- 5 months after submitting their EOI for Tier One. There is no movement at all on Tier Two, but there is more hope now for those who lodged under the old criteria before the rules changed in May 2012. See http://www.immigration.govt.nz/NR/rd...eetAug2014.pdf. Hope that helps. Karen

Thank you JandM & Karen for the response.
    I will do a check on the other thread for indicators on the timeline.

Another thing to query about, this pre-paid ESOL course, is it something like a study regime which needs to be attended/completed by parents and then entails taking a final test to clear it?
    Is it sufficient to pre-purchase ESOL or is there any rule to clear some kind of exam after its completion for the residence to be approved or decision to be made.

HI. I am not 100% certain but I believe the pre-paid sytem is to ensure people do attend sessions to help them improve their English and be able to paticipate fully in NZ society. So far as I am aware, there are no exams that have to be passed and no implications for residence visas. They definitely don't have to take IELTS. Have a look at http://www.dol.govt.nz/immigration/k...ase/item/11901 and http://www.tec.govt.nz/Funding/Fund-...ner-resources/. Cheers. Karen

I've found mention of the 'English for Migrants' courses in various places online. It seems that whatever institution the migrant signs up with has to notify INZ when the person takes the course, since the money paid up front is what funds it, and it's compulsory to do the work within five years of arrival in NZ.

For details, you can talk to the English For Migrants Team at the TEC Sector Help Desk. http://www.tec.govt.nz/Site-information/Contact-Us/ That website has a FAQ section which may be of interest, too.