Thread: Arrived in Auckland from the UK

Default Arrived in Auckland from the UK

Dear All

I arrived yesterday early morning and my first impression is that the city has plenty of space and is very clean and I cannot link the city with another one I know
    I came from London and while I stayed awake until bedtime, I cannot sleep from 2 AM today, I am sure this will change

I still need to find places where I used to go UK in order to get the basic: supermarket, chemist, electronic shop

I am very happy to be here and keen to find out amazing places in here

Hello, welcome to New Zealand.

All the best for the busy time ahead. What part of Auckland are you staying in? I agree - my first impression of the city was that it's not like anywhere else I've ever been.

Welcome!

Different people have different experiences, but for higher end consumer goods I seem to end up back at Dick Smith over other retailers. The Warehouse sometimes has a great price on good stuff--but they also sell a lot of lower standard goods. Still love shopping there, but you need to scrutinise what you buy.

Countdown (owned by Woolworths, the Aussie supermarket chain), New World and Pak n Save are the three main supermarket options. Again personal opinion/taste, but I find Countdown's service and selection frustrating so I mostly go to New World. Pak n Save is often a bit cheaper but it can be a bit rough and tumble. Lots of folks buy fruit and veg from local stores.

Chemists here are a bit of a rip-off. Things like paracetamol are often cheaper from New World and the prices on some over the counter meds can vary widely from chemist to chemist. No Boots equivalent here I'm afraid.

Where in Auckland are you living/hoping to settle?

Default Thank you

Dear JawnBC and Jand

Thank you for your helpful reply, I stayed in Waterloo Quadrant in a temporary accommodation for a month and now I have moved to a permanent accommodation in Northcote Point, NorthShore, not far from work (Point Chevalier) and traffic is not horrible as I was led to believe

I have been into all places that JawnBC suggested and purchased all electronics during the Labour day weekend (discounts)
    Countdown was good due to the convenience factor (online shopping and delivery)
    I would prefer Neworld when possible

I am now trying to get alternative to BT for petrol

Appart form these practicalities, I am enjoying life here so far as my work situation is much better than the one I had in the UK
    I visited wangler and went to Waitangi and I was welcomed by Maori and I found this experience truly amazing. I also went to see some beaches that are outstanding

I have the feeling that this is the new beginning of an adventure that will last many years.

Excellent--glad to see you're settling in well!