Thread: Where to live, Christchurch or Ashburton?

Default Where to live, Christchurch or Ashburton?

Hi everyone,

My husband has a job offer for a company with offices in both Christchurch (Hornby South) or Ashburton so either of these areas are of interest.

We have 2 kids (10 and 5) and would like to get a house for under $400k as don't want a massive mortgage.

Obviously we would like to be close to good schools and somewhere with sports facilities (either/both netball and basketball for my daughter) and enough to do for my daughter when she is a teenager as this isn't too far away!

My husband is happy to commute up to an hour if needs be. Had looked at Kaiapoi and Rangiora but not sure how rebuild is coming on in Kaiapoi and how bad the commute would be from there?

Also we aren't bothered too much about living somewhere with lots of pubs/restaurants as this isn't really out thing. Would rather be able to get out into the country for walking/cycling etc.

Any recommendations/suggestions would be really appreciated as need to make a decision in the next few days.

Many thanks for all your help.

Louise

We have 2 kids (10 and 5) and would like to get a house for under $400k as don't want a massive mortgage.
    $400k might be 'just' enough to get into a 3 bedroom house in the Hornby area but be 100% sure it would be an old house in an old residential area. Keep away from the east side of Hornby South as that's all new sub-divisions where empty lots have sold around $280K (Wigram Skies).

I would certainly pick Hornby South than Ashburton.

My husband is happy to commute up to an hour if needs be. Had looked at Kaiapoi and Rangiora but not sure how rebuild is coming on in Kaiapoi and how bad the commute would be from there?
    Kaiapo and Rangiora are WAY the north part of Christchurch (actually Canterbury) - a considerable distance to Hornby South (easily take over an hour of travel 1 way in major traffic). Travelling over the Waimakariri bridge, then through Belfast, take left along State Hwy 1 - it would be hell passing by the Christchurch Airport. They've twin most parts but there's just so many heavy trucks moving goods along that road, and Carmen Road is always jam packed.

The commute from the north rather depends upon the time of day. From Amberley to Hornby would be about 50 mins starting at 0700. The commute from Rangiora about 10 minutes less BUT the traffic back into Rangiora in the afternoon can be very slow. Commute from Kaiapoi would not be too bad, probably 30 mins each way.

Kaiapoi was mostly damaged in the first earthquake so its rebuild is a bit further on than Chch and Rangiora.

Thanks for the feedback guys, it will be useful in helping us make a decision.

I have passed through Ashburton many times and always liked the look of the place. I would almost certainly choose to live there rather than Chch. I'm not sure about the house prices, it has quite an affluent feel about it. The town is big enough to have a decent town centre with most of the national shop chains you might expect. It is a service town supporting the farming community.

I'm sure there would be plenty of sports facilities but the choice of schools would be much more limited. It's in very flat countryside so I'm not sure if the outdoor activities would be very varied.

Thanks Myles, that is very helpful. We like the look of Ashburton as want to live somewhere a bit quieter with a smaller population where you are able to walk to most places (and flat is good as we live at the top of a hill just now and I really don't like it!)

It is just so difficult when looking at places you haven't visited.

We stayed in Christchurch for a week last year but didn't manage to get to Ashburton as had concentrated on looking at Christchurch and doing holiday stuff with the kids.

We are also looking at Timaru as a possible option but again don't know anything about it other than photos etc on the web, so if anyone has any comments about Timaru that would be great (and also the schooling).

Many thanks

Louise

We camped at the showgrounds last summer (horsey stuff!) and wandered into town from there. The town is quiet and neat and tidy. The main street is tree lined and all on one side with the railway on the other side and the main road beyond that again so not too much traffic through the town, more along the edge. There is a fair range of pubs and cafes, nothing flash but you can sit out and watch the world go by which is nice. All the big name shops, DIY stores and fast food places are there. We stopped in for food on the way home on Sunday night and there was a live band playing somewhere nearby. I'm sure there is a 'rough end' of town but I have not seen it, maybe the bit south of the river - Tinwald looks a bit shabbier

The roads north and south have to be amongst the most boring in NZ, so I would not want to be commuting it too often.
    Last edited by mylesdw; 7th October 2014 at 08:13 AM.

I live inMethven which is 20-30 mins away from Ashvegas as it is fondly know as!! Ashburton is OK,not terribly pretty..it has an amazing park/domain. Not much choice in terms of shopping, if you like to shop(good job I don't). Christchurch isn't too faraway...most boring drive in the world though!!!!