Thread: Girlfriend applying for visitor's visa, how to best show intentions?

Default Girlfriend applying for visitor's visa, how to best show intentions?

Hi all,

My Lithuanian girlfriend of 9 months is currently in the process of applying for a 9-month visitor's visa with hopes to arrive late November / early December. We decided to do this after spending two weeks together in Bali (Yup, same person as my previous post, we decided on Bali instead of somewhere in Europe due to it being at least somewhat in the middle of both of us, was an incredible couple weeks).

We'll be living together while she's here and touring around NZ on weekends and in my holidays. She obviously won't be working while she's here.

She has every intention of either a) leaving New Zealand at or before the expiry time of her visa as per the requirements, or b) applying for a further visa if she decides to pursue that route. If any further visa is declined, she will leave as required by immigration law.

She has the required $1000 NZD per month as well as enough for the return ticket (~$2500 NZD). It's around 25000 Litas.

Two questions:

1) How can we prove for the application that she will not stay illegally (i.e., how can we prove that she is genuine as per this link)? It seems like it's mostly based on the judgement of the immigration officer.

2) How can she prove she has enough in terms of NZD? A bank statement with the official exchange rate written and signed? She has a Mastercard that she'll be using when she's here, possibly transferring the money into an NZ bank account for her stay.

I've written up a letter explaining the situation that she is hoping to attach to the application but I just want to make sure everything goes as smoothly as possible. She really does want to visit NZ and I'm not going to lie, having her here would be pretty awesome.

Cheers,
    Josh

EDIT: Added second question.
    Last edited by JoshK; 29th September 2014 at 07:49 AM.

From what others have said, it is links in the home country that INZ look out for, with the idea that if the person has something waiting for them (e.g. property, a job, family responsibilities, a place on a course of study), they are more likely to go back.

Thank you for that, it helps a lot. If anyone can help with the second question still, much appreciated.