Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How would I go about being a lawyer in NZ?

I'm not sure you can get a student loan at all as an international student, but others will know more about this.

It isgreat that you are planning ahead and trying to figure out what works. I think your best bet would be to get in touch with universities in the US and here directly, and possibly closer to the time it actually becomes relevant (i.e. closer to your graduation from high school).

Quote Originally Posted by dharder View Post
    I'm not sure you can get a student loan at all as an international student, but others will know more about this.

It isgreat that you are planning ahead and trying to figure out what works. I think your best bet would be to get in touch with universities in the US and here directly, and possibly closer to the time it actually becomes relevant (i.e. closer to your graduation from high school).
    I agree, and because of how ill-informed I am on this matter, I don't even think I'd go right after I graduate. Also there is no way that I could have this money upfront, but I think I could work something out. I'd also have to have some sort of quick job that pays (just to earn a small living while in college and after I graduate to pay off debt). I'm really anxious in a way because I don't wanna waste a year figuring out what I want to do, and since my parents cant pay for any of my expenses - it will be 20x harder. If it could really make me happier though, and my standard of living and quality of it increase though, do you think that it would be worth the stress?

Why don't you try to find out if studying here as an undergraduate is a financially viable option for you in the first place? If you find out it is, then great, plan for it to make it happen. If it isn't, for example because the US won't give you student loans to study abroad, or you can't get loans here as an international student, and you know that you can't front up with the tuition fees, then you don't really have the option of studying here.

You could always come here after school on a working holiday visa. That way, you can find out if your life would really be better here than there.

Before you fret too much about things, contact the link I gave, they can help you with so many of your questions. They are a non-profit and are dedicated to helping students who want to study abroad.
    fwiw, You can get US loans for schools abroad ... I studied with other Americans in Australia and they had student loans, and had to do all that FAFSA stuff.
    Unfortunately none of us here are admissions or financial aid experts.
    And also ... calm down. You have time to sort this stuff you, you're planning 2 or 3 years in advance here.

Good comments here from dharder and omymai.

I think I should say, whatever country you're in, there isn't ever going to be a stage when time stops for you to take a break and look around to organize the next step - that is, it's not just the US way of life that will make you feel rushed. It sometimes looks as though others are calm and all sorted out, but often this can be down to having the habit of putting a good face on things, so nobody can tell what is churning around in their mind, and/or, in the case of those older than you, that we've already gone through the process of sorting out certain kinds of problems before, so the memory and experience are there to draw on. Neither a calm exterior nor past experience mean that others don't feel just as much concern as you, though.

Have you seen the information here? https://studentaid.ed.gov/prepare-fo.../international

"Why don't you try to find out if studying here as an undergraduate is a financially viable option for you in the first place? If you find out it is, then great, plan for it to make it happen. If it isn't, for example because the US won't give you student loans to study abroad, or you can't get loans here as an international student, and you know that you can't front up with the tuition fees, then you don't really have the option of studying here.

You could always come here after school on a working holiday visa. That way, you can find out if your life would really be better here than there."

I agree, and that's what I think I'll do. Also I don't think it is viable for me financially since my parents cant support me financially during this trek abroad. Although, that's why I brought up the gap year - I'd take the year off to work and save all the money I make.

"Before you fret too much about things, contact the link I gave, they can help you with so many of your questions. They are a non-profit and are dedicated to helping students who want to study abroad.
    fwiw, You can get US loans for schools abroad ... I studied with other Americans in Australia and they had student loans, and had to do all that FAFSA stuff.
    Unfortunately none of us here are admissions or financial aid experts.
    And also ... calm down. You have time to sort this stuff you, you're planning 2 or 3 years in advance here."

I would contact them, but I don't feel comfortable enough giving them my phone number just yet since I'm not 100% sure about all of this, it's mostly just a hypothetical but I am leaning toward doing all of this though considering how many pros there are. Also you're right - I have almost 2 years to think about this and while it's ok to just think about it, I shouldn't overthink.

"Good comments here from dharder and omymai.

I think I should say, whatever country you're in, there isn't ever going to be a stage when time stops for you to take a break and look around to organize the next step - that is, it's not just the US way of life that will make you feel rushed. It sometimes looks as though others are calm and all sorted out, but often this can be down to having the habit of putting a good face on things, so nobody can tell what is churning around in their mind, and/or, in the case of those older than you, that we've already gone through the process of sorting out certain kinds of problems before, so the memory and experience are there to draw on. Neither a calm exterior nor past experience mean that others don't feel just as much concern as you, though.

Have you seen the information here? https://studentaid.ed.gov/prepare-fo.../international"

I haven't, and thanks for the information! Also I would like to know from you guys: how much money should I save up to go on a trip to NZ? I'd visit Wellington, Christchurch, and Dunedin.

Planning ahead is not a bad thing. Just make sure your plans are adaptable for when reality changes your perception, as it inevitably does.

Have you thought of travelling to the UK? If you live in NYC, it will cost you a lot less, take a lot less time, and give you the experience of being an American abroad. I like the idea of a gap year, don't get me wrong, but if you are intending to take on a lot of debt for your education, you might want to consider whether or not saving that money would be better.

Okay, nagging aside, check out a working holiday visa, http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...idayscheme.htm. You'll see that this requires you to have 4200NZD. If you are willing to pick apples, sort hops, work in vineyards, there are a lot of jobs you could pick up with this visa depending on the time of year and try to not use that 4200. A good resource would be http://www.wwoof.co.nz/

If you did a tourist trip to NZ, you'll need to research the cost of flights from your location, the cost of accommodation for the length of time you intend to stay (up to 3 months on tourist visa), the cost of what you need for nourishment, and the cost of travelling in NZ. All those costs will depend on how you travel and the exchange rate at the time of travel between the USD and NZD.

I'll leave the researching to you but here are some things to look into so you have an idea what to research:

Flights: Watch the various airlines to see when they offer best times of year for travel between your location and NZ. I have found that August and November usually have the best deals. August is winter and November is spring. You'll have to decide if it's a big difference in price at other times of year and if it's worth it for you to pay more to travel in the season you want.

Accommodation: Hostels and holiday parks are all over NZ and are relatively inexpensive for shared rooms. http://www.bbh.co.nz/ https://www.yha.co.nz/

Food: It doesn't really have to be that pricey. Most hostels have shared kitchens so that you can cook up your own food and save a lot of money. You can have a look at costs at http://www.countdown.co.nz/ to give you a general idea. Noodles and vegetables are a good basic backpacker feed.

Travel in NZ: To get from the North Island to the South Island you can fly AirNZ, Sounds Air or take the Interislander or Bluebridge ferries. There are various backpacker bus tour companies that you can jump on and off. I've not done them but I see KiwiExperience at the supermarket a few times a week. You can ask the hostels for various recommendations. You can also buy an old car and use it for travel to sell it at the end. That can be cheaper or more expensive depending on whether you are lucky and get a decent car or unlucky and get a clunker. Kiwirail goes from Picton (where ferries dock on South Island) to various southern locations. You can also try http://transfercar.co.nz for cheap or free transfers if you are flexible and want to get from one place to another cheap and quick. Hostels often have ride shares.

You'll also want to look up the costs for activities you want to do.

You'll need to be 18 for all of this.

Good luck!
    Last edited by kiwieagle; 9th October 2014 at 11:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwieagle View Post
    Planning ahead is not a bad thing. Just make sure your plans are adaptable for when reality changes your perception, as it inevitably does.

Have you thought of travelling to the UK? If you live in NYC, it will cost you a lot less, take a lot less time, and give you the experience of being an American abroad. I like the idea of a gap year, don't get me wrong, but if you are intending to take on a lot of debt for your education, you might want to consider whether or not saving that money would be better.

Okay, nagging aside, check out a working holiday visa, http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...idayscheme.htm. You'll see that this requires you to have 4200NZD. If you are willing to pick apples, sort hops, work in vineyards, there are a lot of jobs you could pick up with this visa depending on the time of year and try to not use that 4200. A good resource would be http://www.wwoof.co.nz/

If you did a tourist trip to NZ, you'll need to research the cost of flights from your location, the cost of accommodation for the length of time you intend to stay (up to 3 months on tourist visa), the cost of what you need for nourishment, and the cost of travelling in NZ. All those costs will depend on how you travel and the exchange rate at the time of travel between the USD and NZD.

I'll leave the researching to you but here are some things to look into so you have an idea what to research:

Flights: Watch the various airlines to see when they offer best times of year for travel between your location and NZ. I have found that August and November usually have the best deals. August is winter and November is spring. You'll have to decide if it's a big difference in price at other times of year and if it's worth it for you to pay more to travel in the season you want.

Accommodation: Hostels and holiday parks are all over NZ and are relatively inexpensive for shared rooms. http://www.bbh.co.nz/ https://www.yha.co.nz/

Food: It doesn't really have to be that pricey. Most hostels have shared kitchens so that you can cook up your own food and save a lot of money. You can have a look at costs at http://www.countdown.co.nz/ to give you a general idea. Noodles and vegetables are a good basic backpacker feed.

Travel in NZ: To get from the North Island to the South Island you can fly AirNZ, Sounds Air or take the Interislander or Bluebridge ferries. There are various backpacker bus tour companies that you can jump on and off. I've not done them but I see KiwiExperience at the supermarket a few times a week. You can ask the hostels for various recommendations. You can also buy an old car and use it for travel to sell it at the end. That can be cheaper or more expensive depending on whether you are lucky and get a decent car or unlucky and get a clunker. Kiwirail goes from Picton (where ferries dock on South Island) to various southern locations. You can also try http://transfercar.co.nz for cheap or free transfers if you are flexible and want to get from one place to another cheap and quick. Hostels often have ride shares.

You'll also want to look up the costs for activities you want to do.

You'll need to be 18 for all of this.

Good luck!
    Amazing advice! Also I have never been to anywhere outside of the US sadly, and I live in New York City so I wouldn't have much trouble getting out since there are numerous major international airports here which would fly me to NZ. I wouldn't mind picking apples and doing those types of hard labor jobs (except cleaning and custodial work) just to pay off travel expenses and education costs/debt. Are you saying it costs NZ$4200 to get a holiday working visa, and that I could make it back within those 3 months? I have no problem eating sailor food for a little bit, and isn't it cheaper to just take the train from say Picton to Christchurch to Dunedin? I see online it costs NZ$40 which is extremely reasonable, and I'd just take the ferry from Welly into the South Island. I am going to start doing some research on the costs. I talked with my dad about all of this, and he'd let me stay at our apartment without having to pay rent, and he'd cover all the food expenses, etc. It's a good thing because all I gotta do is just work and save the money without worrying about where my money is going to go. Also I cant thank you all enough! Amazing advice, and I am glad I created this discussion. The pro's outweigh the cons a ton in this instance.

Are you saying it costs NZ$4200 to get a holiday working visa
    No - look at that link. It tells you the requirements for getting a WHV, one of which is that you have to show you have $4200 available to use for living expenses.

Cost isn't necessarily everything when deciding how to get about within NZ. For instance, if you have a limited amount of time and certain things you really want to see, or experience, it can be preferable to take an internal flight so you don't use some of your precious days covering the ground on the road or on a train. Likewise, if you've got a job when you get where you're going, it can be better to fly so you're not weary for the start of it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123