Thread: Professional couple from UK looking to move

Default Professional couple from UK looking to move

Hello - I have just signed up and am looking for all sorts of advice please.

My fiance and I are looking to emigrate to New Zealand and are looking for some informal, general advice please. We have had a go at the points scoring assessment, and even with adding 5 years to our age we both scored very well.

We are in our 40s (43 and 46) and got engaged earlier in the year. Would we be looked upon more favourably if we were to get married before we started the application process, or wouldn't it make any difference?

He is an indirects buyer, CIPS qualified and has worked for a number of blue chip companies. I have a degree in Chemistry and a PhD in Chemistry and materials (clays). I am also Green Belt Six Sigma qualified and am looking to add the NEBOSH diploma next year. I have spent 8 years working in the supply chain and 8 years in R&D with the same company (Big Blue Chip).

As for looking for work, we'd like to avoid Auckland as we don't fancy a big city (or we could chose from many in the UK). I believe our type of jobs are on the 'we need these types of roles' list, so we wouldn't be taking jobs away from the good New Zealand folk. We could suit the wine industry very well.

All hints, tips and advice would be gratefully received.

Would we be looked upon more favourably if we were to get married before we started the application process, or wouldn't it make any difference?
    Being married doesn't make any difference to INZ. They define partnership as living together, and look for concrete evidence to prove that a couple have lived together over a qualifying length of time.

You would probably do well to look here http://skillshortages.immigration.govt.nz/ and research the job(s) that you are qualified for. You will not only see which ones are on the LTSSL and will earn you points, but will be able to see the qualifications and/or work experience you need to show. This may tell you which of you two would be better to put forward as the main applicant for a Residence visa.

Hi and welcome,

I'd say research this site and NZ, then ask lots of questions!
    If you can visit it helps clear up your ideas and perhaps even secure a job!