Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NZ has a demand of solar energy?

Default NZ has a demand of solar energy?

thats my work, has NZ demands of solar energy? i want to go NZ in 2-3 years, if NZ has not a high demand of solar energy i could accept another type of job thou

I'm not sure where there is a high demand but think it is very expensive compare to alternatives especially in big cities

Yes, solar power makes sense. But the initial investment is rather high as there are no substidies like in Europe. A 3000kw pv-system costs about 10.000 NZD.

Quote Originally Posted by newzealand11 View Post
    thats my work, has NZ demands of solar energy? i want to go NZ in 2-3 years, if NZ has not a high demand of solar energy i could accept another type of job thou
    From what I gather most solar energy is used just for hot water heating. For other uses, hydro, wind and geothermal are predominant.
    Last edited by parpalhou; 10th November 2014 at 05:55 PM.

A couple of power companies have cut their buyback rate for solar energy saying that there are so many more customers with solar now (so obviously its growing) but this will make it less attractive to potential purchasers -
    http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/indu...-solars-allure

But power prices keep going up as power companies want to make more profit -
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=11185248

So - NZ is interested in Solar. You just have to make a living from it if someone has a pay back on their solar panel install of 10 or 15 years. If you can make the numbers work you will have a great time. Otherwise you are selling on an emotional level and that is tougher. I've heard one person mention that they will try to save energy from the summer months and sell back to the grid in winter when they get a higher buyback rate - doesn't sound that feasible to me but what do I know.

NZ is a island on the end of the earth - so getting the panels to NZ is costly. But if you bought enough over at once perhaps this wouldn't matter too much.

The problem with solar and other alternative methods aimed to reduce electricity use is that there's a major conflict of interest between NZ electricity providers and their shareholders. NZ gov't has been on the path of privatising more of their electricity suppliers (Meridian, Contact, Genesis Energy, Mighty River Power, etc). The shift in focus is instead of gov't operated corporations, you have near 1/2 portions of these gov't corporations being owned by the public shareholders. If shareholders demand profits, the power companys simply can not go in the path where consumers can drastically cut their use of power by adopting solar generation.

There are major challenges ahead with energy use in NZ and the gov't if not quick, will have problems with tax revenue. A good example is the adoption of electric vehicles (currently having no road tax user charge) can be used on roads and pay none of the road tax (that is paid in the price the fuel at the pump). When people shift from buying fuel to buying more electricity, the partial privaisation of electricity will have less revenue for the gov't - UNLESS higher electricity prices continue. Both electricity and fuel prices will have to adjust upwards.

thank you very much for the information!

NZ is huge for solar

There are 12 companies alone that I know of, and some have very competitive rates. If any country goes "Country wide" with renewable energy 1st, its bound to be the kiwi's!

It's going through the phase like any other new technology but on a long term yes it will be efficient, green and you can also export energy back to the grid & make some money/savings. Recently there was a small clip on One news about Sylvia Park (Auckland) using solar panels to power their internal electricity needs - sounds like a start

Friends of ours got solar power installed about three years ago and the basic costs have effectively halved in this time. So much so that we're looking at getting it too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast