Thread: Just about 6 months in and my thoughts on living and working Auckland

Default Just about 6 months in and my thoughts on living and working Auckland

I haven't posted on here since I left the USA and I'm now back visiting family in the US and I wanted to share some of my experiences thus far.

First off, I love living in Auckland. I live in Parnell, on Brighton St with my house backing to Ayr Reserve. I'm 5 minute walk from the village and I couldn't live in nicer area. I have a giant backyard that I have plans on putting in a small garden once I'm home and I have already started a herb garden. I zip around on my Segway for most things which most people get kick out of seeing. I rent currently, a friend of mine actually owns the house and I rent out a granny flat that is attached to but separate from the main house. Because I love to cook and I am great one at that, I have met heaps of people just wanting to try my food. My cooking style is a rustic French provincial style with a fusion of Mexican and Brasillian spices. I also favor bbq and I do quite a bit of smoking which I have gotten rave reviews over.

I have met some of the most awesome people since moving. Maybe it's my circle but I have made a lot of new friends and the level of activity is just amazing. Its always an adventure it seems of sorts from going to Waiheke to people wanting to show me the beaches on the west coast to horse back riding up in Coatesville and the Riverhead to a weekend trip out to the hot beaches in the Coromandel. In the US I was a high-energy, super intense type of guy and here I'm just chill. I drink more here, maybe it's the bottle of wine 4 or 5 nights a week I have here, which is so so good and I haven't joined a gym and lifted yet. I still walk and run and do pushups but I've lost weight, close to 18 pounds or so and I don't eat as much protein anymore but I eat a lot more fruit and vege with my homemade butter and homemade bread. Food prices are shocking sometimes but not as much as what it's made out to be because I cook fresh and in season. Prepared foods are expensive but I don't eat that. I eat out quite a bit here but with all the great little cafes and restaruants here in Parnell, it would be shame not to.

My work life is also really enjoyable. I have a work-life balance unlike anything ever in the US. I average about 45 hours a week with some WFH which is a real joy. I have volunteered and am doing some mentoring work with the young developers in the local schools. I have gotten a lot of self-satisfaction from helping out and being part of the community. There is so much great young talent here that I would love to see succeed and I'm helping where I can.

I have dated some but again, not the extent that I would have thought. There hasn't been any one-nighters or anything like that but actually some really good dates where it was a lot deeper than sex or anything like that. Again, I'm just taking what is given and its been really great.

I definitely staying and going to become a citizen. I've been in the US for 5 days now and I can't wait to come home. In fact I have to say I'm quite homesick and while I am going to miss my family when I leave next Wednesday, I will not miss the rest of the muck I have left behind. I am trying to get my family to come but its not that easy for them so I take it one day at a time. Skype and Facetime help and they are planning on visiting over the holidays (my gift to them).

Moving here was the best decision I have ever made and I can't wait to see how the next phase of my life turns out as a Kiwi. If you see a big guy (muscle not fat ) on a Segway with a beard and tattoos in Parnell, say hi, its probably me.
    Last edited by DMS; 12th October 2014 at 01:55 AM.

Great to read such a positive post. Good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by DMS View Post
    Moving here was the best decision I have ever made and I can't wait to see how the next phase of my life turns out as a Kiwi. If you see a big guy (muscle not fat ) on a Segway with a beard and tattoos in Parnell, say hi, its probably me.
    Dude, I would totally notice that...even without the Segway. So would my husband.

Seriously though, glad you're settling in well.

Quote Originally Posted by Fern49 View Post
    Thank you. I thought I'd feel out of sorts for longer than I did. The first month was different but getting my cat from quarantine really helped and just being social and exploring really made everything feel like an adventure. Before I came over I had just gone through a really bad divorce and I was stressed out and bitter. Reading through some of my older posts I saw how angry I was because a lot of my posts were kinda mean. That was the major reason why I stopped posting.

When I get back I am going to be posting a lot my pics and I got some really good ones including footage of a black tip while I was scuba diving off the Barrier Islands.

Quote Originally Posted by jawnbc View Post
    Dude, I would totally notice that...even without the Segway. So would my husband.

Seriously though, glad you're settling in well.
    I don't recall where in Auckland you are but I spend a good bit of time on Parnell road. If I happen to be driving that day I drive a red Fiat Abarth. Now that it's starting to get into summer I was thinking about doing a meet up like a craft beer tour or a Vinyard tour on Waiheke island. Something where we could all get out and be social but also not feel confined to say just a pub. I really like Waiheke and any excuse to get over I'm game. If I were to leave Parnell that would probably be where I go.

Congratulations! I'm glad to hear it is going so well for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Fern49 View Post
    +1