Hi everyone !

Story goes as follow:

I had a job offer in skilled employment and applied for a Temporary Work Visa for one year to make the process faster ( I only had to submit x ray and job contract). I got the visa within a week. My partner applied for a partnership based visa and also got it within a few days.
I have all the documents on me to apply for residency under the skilled migrant category (and enough points too), besides the full medical.
I am weighing the options between applying for residency now or waiting until we know for sure if we want to stay in NZ. We have only been here for 2 months and don't know if we will want to stay for more than a year.
What are the benefits of being a resident, for someone like me, from Portugal (Uk citizens for example get medical benefits without residency) vs Temporary Work Visa?
OR do you think I should just keep to my temporary work visa and maybe renew it after one year? How hard is that ? I read my employer has to provide another proof that I am the best for the job...
My Temporary Work Visa only allows me to work for this specific company. Will Residency give me freedom to work in another company if I wish to leave?
Another thing I'm thinking is that I already paid for the police certificate from England and it cost me +- 150 pounds (300 NZD). This will expire in 1 month. So will I want to let it expire and later on do it again?
I am tempted to apply for residency... But will it be worth the expense (medicals and fee)??

I know it's probably a matter of opinion but I just wanted to her what other people think about and maybe get some new questions raised by someone with a fresh look at the problem.

Thank for everyone's help.
We wouldn't have made it this far in the process without this forum !!