Thread: What happens if I leave the country after applying for residency?

Default What happens if I leave the country after applying for residency?

Hi, I'm currently on work visa in New Zealand and I have applied for residency under SMC category and the application is still pending with immigration.

Now, what will happen if I chose to resign my current job and leave the country? Will my residency application be still continue to be processed?
    So, that after getting the residency, I can come to NZ and look for a new job?

How many points did you have on your EOI? If some of those points were from the job you currently have, they will not count any more if you resign that job. If that would take your points total below 140, INZ would not continue processing your application (because an EOI from someone without a job or job offer in NZ has to have 140 in order to be selected).

that would be a "change in circumstances" which you would need to advise, up to the time your visa label is issued. If you not longer had enough points to be granted residecene your application would fail. Once you have residence and subject to not having a Section 49 Condition (remain employed for 3 months), once you get residecne you can do what your like. (but how will you them be eligible for PRV if you leave NZ?)

I have 230 points so I believe my application will still be processed even if I leave country.

What exactly is that 3 months condition? Is it that 3 months immediately after I got residency?
    I'm not sure how that works because I believe NZ will give residency for people without job offer as well.

If someone with no job offer applies, they have to have 140 points at least for their EOI to be selected (as the quotas are working at the moment). If someone with a job or job offer applies, they have to have a minimum of 100 points, and they are the ones who are given the Section 49(1) condition that they must take up the job within three months of arrival (if outside NZ at the time) and must work in the job for three months before that condition can be removed.