Thread: Container Shipping, Which company to use ?

Talking Container Shipping, Which company to use ?

Hi,
    Can anybody please advise on reasonably and competitively priced shipping companies?

Thank you

Hi

I have used John Mason twice now and they have been great. For insurance, I can recommend Letton Percival- a pleasure to deal with (havent claimed though yet, thankfully) and are much cheaper than the insurance companies.

I would get three in to quote and then negotiate. Crown, Allied Pickford, Anglo Pacific, PSS to name but a few. We used Crown and knocked them down about £1000 on the deal which came in under the other companies we had in.

Also i would agree with Letton and Percival as the cheapest insurers but just go for the loss of the container as we had a few chipped and broken items which they suggested we get repaired and then give them the bill.....too much hassle and not really worthwhile on what was damaged. Check the terms on claiming we probably didnt take too much notice.

Good luck with the move.

Hi we have contacted several shipping companies for quotes, can you advise on how you knocked them down on price, what tactics did you use. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Mick n Tracey.

We moved nearly 5 years ago and used Robinsons with no problems. However we have family who have also recently made the move so passed on our recommendation and it was a disaster. Numerous items smashed and broken as a result of not being correctly packed, not to mention other items mysteriously missing. Whoever you go with, make sure they have allocated enough time to correctly pack all your stuff, and keep an eye on them. Having said all that, don't let it put you off a move - coming here was the best thing we did!

http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=31309

It's a bit old but relevant.

Simon

I came over with NZ Van Lines (we actually found them through their Auckland movers video on YouTube.
    We have a great move with them. They arranged their partner company in Canada to come out and see us. I would suggest getting a quote from them.

Is it bad form to ask what an approximate cost others have paid?
    I'm going to be moving to Wellington from Washington DC in July and have been getting quotes of around 13k for a 20 ft container. That includes crating of a motorcycle and a 1 bedroom apt.
    I have so little to go by but I was expecting it to be around 10k.

And this is my first post! Long time lurker first time poster.
    The atmosphere and information here are great.
    Thank you to everyone for sharing!