Thread: What are my options?

Default What are my options?

I have graduated from a University in NZ - I completed my degree entirely in NZ.
    Currently on Post-study work visa.

My job is not to do with my major / my job is not in an area where there is a skill shortage.

Note: I don't think I will be able to find employment in an area which has a skill shortage, my current employer is highly likely to be unaccredited.

I have a partner who I have been with for a year.
    - Although we sleep together 5/7 nights a week, my partner is not involved on the tenancy agreement and the landlord is unaware my partner stays often.
    - We are moving in together and at the time of my Post-study work visa expiring, we would have spent roughly 4 months living together.

What are my options? Please help me as I love this country and really want to build my life here.

A few questions:

In the best case scenario I do get a visa, if it involves my partner how long does this attachment exist? If say, this gave me.. 24 months to stay and work in NZ - allowing me time to find a job which has a skills shortage/is accredited can this visa be changed so that I am a resident without this attachment to my partner?

I only ask as obviously the symbolic bind of a government enforced 'contract' taints any relationship, also the dread of losing ones partner magnifies when you also lose the ability to stay in New Zealand - I do not like to feel completely dependent on other people, be it family or my partner.

In order to get a post-study employer-assisted work visa, the job has to be related to your NZ studies. For an Essential Skills work visa it needs to be on the ANZSCO and you need the apprpriate qualifications and/or experience as specified for that job. For residence under SMC, the job also has to be on the List of Skilled Occupations. None of them require the job to be either on the skills shortage list or with an accredited employer. Have a play with http://skillshortages.immigration.govt.nz/ to see what might be possible. In terms of a partnership-based temporary visa, you need to have evidence that you been living together in a genuine and stable relationship for at least 3 months. If after that you got a suitable job, you could apply for residence in your own right. Alternatively, once you had been together for a year, you could apply for residence as a partner. (I have assumed your partner is a NZ resident or citizen). Hope that helps.