Thread: INZ processing times - Wellington?

Default INZ processing times - Wellington?

Hey all,

Just wondering if anybody has any experience in applying for an Essential Skills work visa whilst already in NZ on a WHV?

We've sent in our application, which is now showing on the system, but I just wondered how long it normally takes?

The website says with 25 days but we only have about 35 days left on our visas so we need answers ASAP!

And how long do partnership visas normally take? That would be the next step for us if we get this work visa.

Thanks in advance!

Neddrick

If the process runs over, you will be eligible for interim visas. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...erimvisaqa.htm

What sort of partnership visa(s) are you talking about?

Do you know when they normally issue interim visas (e.g. 2 weeks before your visa runs out if your next visa is still being processed)?
    Partnership visa - I mean getting a visa from being the partner of somebody with an Essential Skills Work Visa.
    If we've got a visa in processing and are nearing the end of our current WHV, I assume they would at least tell us any 'no' 2 weeks before this is due to run out? Or would they allow us a grace period (e.g. an extra 10 days to get things in order and leave)?

The wonderful thing about INZ Wellington is that they are totally variable in how long it takes to do things. They are always in a constant state of flux with their staffing and so work gets passed around many times before it might actually get with. Current experience would be that you should be thinking that it will take longer than you want, an probabaly aound the quoted 25 days mark for both types of visa you refer to. As others mention, an interim visa will be generated, but that will only be a visitor visa, as you are applying for a visa of a different type (WHV to essential skills)

Thats so true that they are totally variable for the processing times!! But as my personal experience and from friends most of the times they can grant interim visa even 2 days before your visa expiry!!!

My essential skills work visa took around 3 weeks in wellington. For some of my friends, it's even faster.

Once your new visa application is in progress and if your current visa is about to expire, immigration will give you interim visa. You don't need to apply for it.
    Make sure you check your spam/junk folder as that interim visa might go to spam folder at times.
    You can also call up immigration and find out the status of interim visa.

If the new work visa you lodged is for the same job that you are currently on, then you can continue working in the job with the interim visa.
    But in case if it's for a new job, visitor visa conditions will apply to you when you are on interim visa.

Thanks for all your responses!

I'm still a bit confused though:
    if you're already working job A and your visa application is for job A then you get an interim work visa
    but if you're working job A and your visa app is for job B then your interim visa is only a visitor visa

however, some people are saying that from WHV to essential skills is the same as from job A to job B? even though it's actually the same job being applied for?

another qq: in terms of fees, the money's already been withdrawn. If the app is denied, are we refunded any of the money? My initial reaction is that probably not as they've already invested time (and so money) in assessing our case?

This is a pretty anxious time for us as we so badly want to stay and to make plans and invest in our lives here, but we're in total limbo until a decision is made.
    If it's a no then our next steps are very limited, and we would 100% have to sell up all our belongings (no doubt dirt cheap) and leave NZ asap. A work visa for one of us is the only way to remain here, as far as I can tell!

Another little question (sorry!): does anybody have any experience in applying for a visa based on a job offer letter? Basically, my partner is a contractor (carpenter builder) so doesn't have any job contract. INZ told us this was a big issue, but could be overcome by getting a job offer letter from his boss (which we did, and then sent in with our app). I know it's not as strong as a 'proper' contract, so I was just wondering if anybody has any experience with this? Or any tips on giving it a little boost with other info (e.g. we sent in a letter to support the lack of contract, which stated about his tax payments, continuous and stable work, job hours, pay rises, and the 80/20 rule)??

Thanks in advance!!

Interim visas. If you look at the chart on here http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...erimvisaqa.htm, you'll see it's not the JOB being the same that they're looking at, as its being the same KIND OF VISA, and for the same thing. That way, there isn't anything different in your application from what they already investigated before for your original visa. If you're waiting to go from like to like, the interim visa will let you work. If you're waiting for a different kind of visa, they won't give you the go-ahead to work on the interim one, because there's the chance that when they get round to seeing all the details of your new case, there could be something there that's a no-no.

No, there's no refund if the application is refused. The payment isn't buying a visa - it's paying for the application to be worked.