Thread: Changing Visitor Visa into Working Visa

Default Changing Visitor Visa into Working Visa

Hello,

my boyfriend and I are planning to move to NZ next year. We will apply for the 9-months tourist visa and look for a job there on the spot. My questions are:
    1. Is it difficult to get the tourist visa approved? Is it true you need to send some sort of proof that you will be going back to your country after these 9 months? Any advice what to include in a sucessful application?
    2. Is the process of changing your visa from visitor into working visa (once you get a job offer) complicated?

Many thanks for your help!

1. Usually, as well as proof of a flight out of the country, they look for evidence of something in the home country that you would expect to go back to, e.g. a home and/or job waiting for you, family commitments, a place booked on a course of study that will start at a certain time so you need to be back for it.

2. No, not particularly complicated, as long as the job you are offered meets the requirements of one or other kind of temporary work visa. Go to the INZ website>Find a visa>Work. (Sorry, I can't give you a link to the page since the INZ website isn't available at the moment.)

Thank you for answering so quickly JandM!

So if we cannot provide any of that evidence for going back home, there is no chance for the tourist visa to be approved? The return flight ticket is not enough?

If you meet the rules and are waiting until 1 April 2015 (when more places are available) then the best option for you is a Working Holiday Visa,of which there are 100 places available annually; See below from INZ Instructions.

WI2.135 Slovenia Working Holiday Scheme
    a.This scheme is available to 100 young citizens of the Republic of Slovenia annually.
    b.To be eligible for a work visa under this scheme, applicants must:i.be a citizen of the Republic of Slovenia; and
    ii.have a minimum of NZ$4,200 available funds for their maintenance during the period of stay in New Zealand; and
    iii.agree to hold medical and comprehensive hospitalisation insurance that will remain current throughout their stay in New Zealand; and
    iv.meet the requirements at WI2.1.1(b).

c.Successful applicants will be granted a work visa with the following conditions:i.if the applicant is outside New Zealand, first entry to New Zealand must be made within 12 months of the visa being granted, and the visa will allow work and multiple entries to New Zealand for 12 months from first arrival; or
    ii.if the applicant is in New Zealand, the visa will allow work and multiple entry to New Zealand for 12 months.

d.Participants in this scheme must not work for the same employer for a period exceeding three months.

If you did secure a fulltime job offer, then you could apply to change the visa to an "essential skills" work visa (subject to meeting a labour market test), or if it was skilled employment consider a skilled migrant permanent residence application.
    Last edited by ChrisMwn; 22nd October 2014 at 09:34 AM. Reason: added more info

WHV would be the best option, I agree, but unfortunatelly we are both over 30. Thanks anyway for your answer ChrisMwn!

Applying for a visitor visa isn't ever a hopeless case - you asked what they look for, and I answered with what I know other people have supplied.

Most often a visitor's visa is wanted by someone who is going for time in NZ as a tourist. But it's not illegal to go with the hope of looking for work. Here are the official guidelines to INZ staff. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/NR/rd...20June2014.pdf

OK then don't forget that as Slovenian citizens you have a "visa waiver." You don't need a visa to enter New Zealand, so long as you have a valid outward ticket and evidence of funds. On arrival you can be issued with a 3 month visa, which could later be extended . (or changed to a work visa , if eligible)Be mindful of what is the practice here, http://www.immigration.govt.nz/NR/rd...20June2014.pdf , so you will need to be able to satisfy a border official if questioned that you are a "genuine tourist" and here for a "look and see"

The big question has to be what are your job skills/experience? Because, and this is very realistic, unless one of you has a very, very, very in demand shortage skill, almost no one will even talk to you without a valid work status.

JandM:
    Thank you for the document you`ve sent, it is very usefull! This look&see politic realy calmed me down I was afraid that if you let them know that you are planning to look for a job, they decline your tourist visa application or turn you around at the airport right away!

ChrisMwn:
    Yes I know about the visa waiver, but I`m afraid 3 months is not enough time to get a job offer AND get all the necessary paper work done. However, what you said about extending the visa waiver - how does that go? I cannot find any info about that on the NZ immigation page, I didn`t know this is possible ...

G-Mo:
    My boyfriend is carpenter with experience so I think/hope it won`t be too difficult for him to get a job and consequently I get a partnership visa. What do you think?

See here http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...rs/default.htm under 'Visa-waiver countries'. If you want to stay longer, you contact INZ.