Thread: Working hours problem!

Default Working hours problem!

Hi.

My work contract states that I work 40 - 50 hours a week. That's fine. Whats not is that I am expected to be available for work Monday to Sunday. How do I plan a life around that?

Is this allowed?

Thxs

Is your contract 'casual' or 'shift work'? If yes, I believe that's the flexibility the employer had allowed themselves to have. Negotiate something else to be put on your contract to state the days you want.

And the 40-50 hours thing, is it fixed pay or hourly pay? If it's fixed pay, are you willing to get the same pay for 40 hours and for 50 hours?

It's all down to the contract, there are laws around employment and they are quite explicit even if people don't think there are many laws around it.

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

My guess is they're not asking you to work 7 days a week but that their hours of operation are 7 days and you will be required to work 40-50 hours over that period. You could do 4 x 10-12 hour days for instance.

The other option could be that they may need you to work occasional weekends but don't want to pay you time and a half for those occasions, because your contract states that you work them. Might be worth clarifying with them the conditions.