Thread: Combined salary estimates to live comfortably in Auckland for family of 4 adults and 2 kids

Default Combined salary estimates to live comfortably in Auckland for family of 4 adults and 2 kids

Hi there guys I have been asking around on forums on facebook about how much would a family need to live comfortably in Auckland and most people tend to think it would need about NZD1200 per week up to NZD1500

Does that sound about right?
    My wife has gotten a job offer in Milford as a hairdresser and her take home pay after tax would be NZD 600 , I am still to find work as we need to get the work visa sorted out first before I will have the necessary paperwork to apply.

I work at the airlines as Customer Service Supervisor/duty manager.(British airways/Comair)
    Not sure what the salaries would be for airline staff on New Zealand's side yet.
    Can anyone give me some insight?
    Regards

I guess everyone's definition of 'comfortably' is different. For a family with 4 children and two adults, I would not attempt anything under $100,000. But it really depends on personal preferences and circumstances, I would think the biggest single factor will be rent/mortgage.

Dharder is spot on. It all depends on where you live and what your rent is, for example in Parnell rents average $850pw. The Milford-Takapuna areas are pretty pricy themselves and you'd be better off checking out Albany where you get a nice 3 br apartment for 450pw or rent a house for 550-750pw. For that many people I would have to say that $100,000pa is a good start but really it should be the starting point.

Just one thing I noticed- the question is 'comfortable living for 4 adults and 2 kids'- does that mean that there are 4 adults, but only two of them are working?

Does the salary include any benefits you'll get? I would have thought on $1200 a week you'd struggle unless you live out in the wops, and if your partner's working in Milford you'll end up spending a lot on travel.
    Salaries for airline staff are low. If you're a hostie then $40k is probably realistic + per diems. If you've got 5+ years then you might get up to $60k. More info here: http://www.careers.govt.nz/jobs/tran.../about-the-job
    One of you is going to have to travel anyway, because the airport is nowhere near Milford.