Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: struggling for accommodation

Default struggling for accommodation

Hi all we land in Auckland on the 21st Nov and we need a base for 4 weeks ( 2 adults and one child of 11yrs ) for no more than $950 at week.......it needs to have 2 bedrooms and local or within an easy commute to the CBD.....we have looked all over the internet and are really struggling.....every where seems to be booked out ....bad timing on our behalf......my job offer included a furnished holiday let alowance of upto $1000 per week for upto a maximum of 4 weeks.....we want to use this whilst we look for a permanent house to rent and also to allow us to look in the suburbs for schools...any help, offers on advice would be greatly appreciated.....the dates we need are the 21st Nov until the 19th Dec 2014....were getting anxious now ...thanks in advance
    Last edited by Karl_M; 4th November 2014 at 12:22 PM.

Have you tried Waldorf appts? www.waldorf.co.nz. It looks like some appts may be booked at weekend, but maybe you could go and sightsee at weekends if this is the case?

Quite a few people have used bookabach.

No doubt you have tried the 'rental' division of real estate offices.

Finding suitable accommodation is nearly impossible and means you need to be decisive as any hesitation be mean failure.

We set aside a whole day and armed with a car fully loaded of petrol we visited a couple of estate agents to ask for their daily list of rental accommodation. We then went to a nearby coffee shop, ordered a coffee and checked each property location using a large paper map of the area and a smartphone to check bus timetables for journey times to work. We then returning to the estate agent with those properties that sounded interesting (and commutable) to ask to see them as soon as possible that day.

Please Note. As the rental accommodation market is very fluid, then the daily lists as only good for a single day. Give the estate agent plenty of feedback on the properties (what you liked / didn't like) so that can help you and this helps them as they may not have seen the properties themselves yet.

Managed to achieve the near-impossible of finding suitable accommodation twice in a SINGLE DAY before we purchase our own property.

Great advise thanks Rogercruse....we may have a temp apartment for 8 weks in the CBD fingers crossed .... after trawing the web were shattered.....thanks all for your posts

Try Quest Apartments and good luck

Try a motel, rather than hotel or house to rent. Or bookabach.co.nz might have something.
    Good luck!

I was going to suggest Waldorf as well. I stayed in one of their 2 bedroom units at their St Martin property when I moved here in 2012.

Location is at the top of Symonds Street so a quick 10 minute walk to the CBD (and a challenging 20 minute stroll back, up the hill). Lots of public transport access (inner and city link are a few blocks away; tons of buses travelling Symonds to parts south), the apartments would be plenty of room for your family. There is a washing machine in each unit; dryer is in the basement but you can get free tokens for it. I think I paid about NZD130/night, which is close to your budget. But they do offer weekly rates that are less expensive--your apartment is serviced weekly instead of daily.

It had a full kitchen with all pots, pans dishes, dishwasher, cooker, oven, etc. Saved a lot of money on eating out.

Quote Originally Posted by lou76 View Post
    Have you tried Waldorf appts? www.waldorf.co.nz. It looks like some appts may be booked at weekend, but maybe you could go and sightsee at weekends if this is the case?

Quite a few people have used bookabach.

Thanks all for your advice.....I'll keep you all posted

Thanks Liz F-C

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast