Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Wellington really Windy?

Default Is Wellington really Windy?

I've heard the phrase 'Windy Welly'

The company that I work for is looking to expand offices in Auckland and Wellington and I said that I'd be happy to be located in either if a transfer were possible.

I currently live in Durham in UK and in the shadow of the Pennine hills, we get some icy winds browing across on quite a regular basis and Stanley Town, just up the hill from me can be perishing in June and snow in September and April is not unknown with an icy wind blasting through!

Wellington can't be in the same wind league, I'm sure.

I have also heard that Wellington's wind is to to with a vortex created by surrounding hils and that if one lives in the suburbs, it isn't nearly so strong.

Apologies in advance for my ignorance in the Wellington climate

Any advice appreciated.

I've probably spent about 18 months of my past four years working in Wellington and while it is quite windy at times its never that cold! (compared to UK weather).

I found the Wellington weather is be less humid that Auckland, so sleeping at night is easier during the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by relocate2014 View Post

Wellington can't be in the same wind league, I'm sure.
    Oh yes. It is. And more.
    No snow though and nowhere near as cold in winter. More like an extended autumn, with southerly gales. (Nearest southern neighbours being Antarctica)
    For more info re wind, look at http://http://en.windfinder.com/report/wellington
    I've seen that Beaufort figure go up to 13. 6 happens regularly.

yes it can a beautiful day and all of a sudden a gust of cold wind, we were sitting on our deck one day having lunch when a gust from nowwhere sent the patio table, unbrella,and chairs including iron stand accross the garden. My son was more worried about his sausage than anything else lol!
    People in Wellington do not use umbrellas for that reason, having said that it does depend where you live up on Kapitai coast is less windy than lower hutt hills

Yes it is windy - but all NZ weather is governed by the wind, a sudden change in direction in any part of the country can see the temperature drop or increase in a matter of minutes. Welly is just a bit extreme because of the location. It's way nicer than Auckland though

Yes!
    The strength of the wind is more than I'm used too - there are some great you tube videos of windy Wellington days
    But it's not all the time and it's a beautiful city even in the wind.

It's way nicer than Auckland though
    I loved both.

I've lived a few years in Auckland, and a few years in Welly.. My preference is definitely Auckland.

bob

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0jnahV81AU

Just don't arrive by plane!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast