Thread: A basic employment question

Default A basic employment question

Hello - If I have an IRD number but not a work visa, will I be okay to do *some* sort of work in New Zealand? Or will I be barred from doing any / all sort of paid work? If so, what kind of work would that be?

Thanks,

Gregory

You can't do any kind of work in NZ without a valid visa. This includes volunteering, or work where you aren't paid in cash but get e.g. board and lodging.

Hi,
    I am just going through this IRD number now for my bank a/c. You cannot apply for an IRD without an 'immigration visa/permit'. They check your passport
    when you apply. Also you have to give them a photocopy of the visa page.
    Sue

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    You can't do any kind of work in NZ without a valid visa. This includes volunteering, or work where you aren't paid in cash but get e.g. board and lodging.
    Because it seems to fit in here- I was talking to someone who is in NZ on a visitor visa, she is way over the age for a WHV, but 'works' as a WWOFer. She said that she inquired about it at INZ and was told that it was not a problem. Just wondering.., it is the second time I come across the scenario, and I was reluctant to tell them to be very careful with talking about their situation. Maybe something has changed?

I can only assume that Immigration is lax when it comes to work-trades and work visas because helpx.net shows almost 3,000 and workaway.net shows over 300 work-trade opportunities in New Zealand. These are all advertised in plain sight so enforcement would be easy if government resources were thus allocated.

Quote Originally Posted by newarrival View Post
    Because it seems to fit in here- I was talking to someone who is in NZ on a visitor visa, she is way over the age for a WHV, but 'works' as a WWOFer. She said that she inquired about it at INZ and was told that it was not a problem. Just wondering.., it is the second time I come across the scenario, and I was reluctant to tell them to be very careful with talking about their situation. Maybe something has changed?
    According to WWOOF NZ own terms and conditions...

1.4 Please be aware that the immigration department in New Zealand require people who work in exchange for food and accommodation to hold an open work visa such as a Working Holiday Visa.
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by IanW99 View Post
    According to WWOOF NZ own terms and conditions...

Ian
    Thanks.., I am quite sure there are a lot of 'violations' in this field around. Could, unfortunately, lead to a very rude awakening for some, which would be a pity.