Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forgot to declare a speeding ticket in Residency Application ... what now?

Question Forgot to declare a speeding ticket in Residency Application ... what now?

Reading the latest Kim Dotcom's story about not declaring his driving offence in his Resident visa application I have realized that I am in a similar situation.

I started to work in NZ on a work visa and about 1 month later I was caught by a speed camera in Auckland - exceeded the speed limit only by about 5 kmh and had to pay $30 fine online.
    About 2 years later, when completing the Resident visa application, I forgot about the speeding ticket and answered 'No' to:
    Have you ever been ... charged with, convicted of or investigated for any offences committed (including traffic or driving offences) since being granted New Zealand residence, or while on a temporary visa or when unlawfully in New Zealand?
    The Resident visa was granted.

Now, I will be applying for a Permanent Resident visa soon (after spending 2 years on Resident Visa), and not sure what to do. Any recommendation? Should I inform INZ about the speeding ticket now?
    Last edited by roman; 8th November 2014 at 01:06 AM.

I think it would be advisable to tell them.

I have been told that speed camera tickets are not recorded in your name, but on the vehicle. So that only means the owner of the vehicle is being charged, but if the owner wasn't driving he should pass the ticket on to the driver who committed the offence. It will only be recorded in your name if you are being pulled over and they have given you the ticket. We have asked people who are in the police force and that is what they said. In other words, there will not be a ticket registered in your name and it will not appear anywhere formal.

The wording "since being granted New Zealand residence" makes it sound like this question appears only on a PR application form, not a residence application form. Are you sure they asked you this exact same question on your residence form? I just had a look at the Residence Application Form on INZ's website and that particular question doesn't appear. It does, however, appear on the PR application form. So, I think you're good.

I think the difference in Kim Dotcom's case is that he was convicted for dangerous driving.., and he was a bit more than 5km over the speed limit.....

yes a big difference. Exceeding the speed limit by 5kmph an "infringement" offence only, whereas Dangerous Driving is an "traffic offence", and can be punishable by imprisonment. I'd just be noting "paid traffic infringements only when your submit you PRV application.

I would not think that a $30.00 speeding fine would be any problem for you, but it might be for Kim Dotcom. He`s not the most popular bloke in N.Z. and they will be looking at him in great detail.

While we are on the topic of Kim Dotcom, how did he manage to get his residence visa approved despite having a BMI of 42? Isn't 35 the minimum cut-off?

And he purposefully used his previous legal name (Schmitt) to try and avoid it appearing on his record. So not only didn't he declare...he purposefully tried to deceive INZ.

It's time they turf the cretin.

Quote Originally Posted by newarrival View Post
    I think the difference in Kim Dotcom's case is that he was convicted for dangerous driving.., and he was a bit more than 5km over the speed limit.....

Sorry new in this site i just got a fine from police officer tonight as i was driving scooter after 10 on learner license. I just got residency 1 months ago. I was wondering will this affect my permanent residency after 2 years . Any help will be great full

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast