Thread: Under section 61.....

Default Under section 61.....

hello everyone... my name is Umesh,

i need a serious help... recently i applied for my graduate work visa 10 days before my student visa expiry,but the applications was sent back to me as the medicals and police clearance were not received to the INZ... as police clearance takes about 15 working days so it was impossible for me to apply for my work visa... i went to immigration branch and the officer asked me to file a visitor visa as i was not having my police clearance ready and i can have enough time to apply for police clearance... so i applied for visitor visa and in mean time got all the papers ready which were required for my work visa application..... now the problem is INZ have granted me interim visa till my visitor visa gets approved or declined...? i can only apply for my work visa until the result is sorted out for visitor visa, its been already 3+ weeks and i have not heard from them... and INZ also suggested me if my visitor visa get declined i have to apply my work visa under section 61 to avoid staying unlawfully and if it gets approved i can apply normally.... i just wanna ask u if i apply for my work visa under section 61 will it get approved... and what should i mention in under 61 letter and how long does it will take to get result of my application?????

Thanks in advance.

I know you must be very anxious about the situation, but really, you are getting ahead of yourself. There's no reason to think INZ will refuse your visitor's visa, especially since they know the reason you are applying for it is just a paperwork glitch, and that you have already spent some time in NZ without any trouble. They only told you about a section 61 application for completeness, to reassure you.

You only need to apply under Sectin 61 if you are unlawfully in NZ and while you have an interim or visitor visa, you are not unlawful. If something goes wrong and you end up becoming unlawful, you need to write a letter explaining how long you were in NZ unlawfully and the circumstances which created the problem. However, INZ will always do their best to avoid anyone becoming unlawful if they know about the situation, as they do in your case. Good luck!

Default Possible Solution

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Phillips View Post
    You only need to apply under Sectin 61 if you are unlawfully in NZ and while you have an interim or visitor visa, you are not unlawful. If something goes wrong and you end up becoming unlawful, you need to write a letter explaining how long you were in NZ unlawfully and the circumstances which created the problem. However, INZ will always do their best to avoid anyone becoming unlawful if they know about the situation, as they do in your case. Good luck!

Hi Umesh

If you have not received your PCC, You could have gone to Wellington, and get the PCC just the same day at Indian High Commission in Wellington. In your case, a drive to wellington can save your wait of 3 weeks and fees for applying a visitor visa and then a graduate job search visa.

Just an idea.

Good Luck

Hello Everyone...

Thank you so much for your kind and valuable reply..... luckily i got my Tourist visa approved and i don't have to apply under section 61.

I have already applied for my Graduate Job Search visa & expecting to get approved soon.

Thank you once again

That's good news - thanks for the update.