Thread: What/Where Can I do/visit during Christmas Break?

Default What/Where Can I do/visit during Christmas Break?

Hi everyone,

Thanks to everyone in this forum, I have settled nicely and without much agony in NZ. Having done the basic task of settling in, am now ready to see the country. The long Christmas break (4 days including the weekends) is coming up and am wondering what I can do. Am alone here and not planning to return home since I have just arrived. Wondering if it's good to go up to Auckland? or Christchurch for the Christmas weekends? Any other good places to spend the Christmas? Suggestions?

It depends if you want "City Life" or beautiful surroundings or both. We used to enjoy Bay of Islands at that time of year - Kerikeri, Paihia, maybe even further north. Equally, if you want a small city and fabulous beaches, try Tauranga and Mount Maunganui. If you choose Auckland and want to do some trips out fom there, try the west coast - Piha for example. It's a litle out of date now, but this might give you some ideas http://www.workstudylivenewzealand.c...EW-ZEALAND.pdf

Wherever you decide to go, I would book somewhere to stay as soon as possible.

Yes, things get very booked up quite a while in advance.

Do note that a lot of places and shops do close for the Xmas break so you need to do some research on this. Queenstown is open for business, though. We spend one Xmas weekend on Waiheke Island and another year, strawberry picking following by a picnic and swim at Muriwai beach. Both are in Auckland.

Hi,
    if you're in Wellington feel free to hook up with some of the other newcomers and see what they're up too!
    Things are still available, I've just booked accommodation in Rotorua and near Lake Taupo as we're doing a mini road trip with the parents . But as the others suggest I'd get onto it ASAP!

Thanks Everyone for the suggestions.