Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skilled Migrant Category- Does salary/wages per hour matter for SMC ???

Default Skilled Migrant Category- Does salary/wages per hour matter for SMC ???

Hi,

As per Skilled Migrant Point Indicator, i score 150 (study+job+bonus). My hourly wage is $14.50 which conclude approx. $30,000 a year

Any chance of getting PR under SMC category on current wage??

Also, which is better of the following if i would to apply my application under SMC??
    35 hours, $17/hr or 40 hrs, $14.50/hr

Any suggestions/comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Ashish

Is this within the normal range for the skill you're putting forward on your EOI? If it's outside the normal range, that's what could attract attention from the CO, leading to suspicion that perhaps you're not doing skilled work.

INZ regard full-time as being 30 hours per week, so either way of stating it would work, but $17 an hour *looks* better.

Hi,

Thanks for reply.

I am working as Technical Service Assistant in an IT firm for more than a year. I have not yet applied for resident visa just because low wage. Will it be fine under Skill Shortage category?

Thanks,
    Ashish

There is no salary level in dollars stated by INZ as a cut-off. See SM7.10 and SM7.15 here http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/30545.htm for the requirements for skilled employment.

The only mention of pay is at SM7.20, the requirements for employers http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/30550.htm, where section a i talks about "paying employees no less than the appropriate minimum wage rate or other contracted industry standard." As you see, this is part of requiring the employer to have a record as a good boss who sticks to NZ law.

I'd be more worried about whether your job description is a substansial match to the ANZSCO occupation which corresponds to your skilled employment. if you wage is well below industry normas that will cause INZ to question whether you do actually perform the duties listed.

Hi Chris,

ANZSCO 263299 ICT Support and Test Engineers nec describes perfectly what i do. I do technical stuff (technical support, troubleshooting to users including a lot of testing) and look after front office (invoicing, Orders). Would that be correct ANZSCO for me??

Thanks,
    Ashish

Hi,

Yes, you are right.
    150 points, 12+ months experience in IT, Permanent position and salary $30,000 a year

So what would you recommend to me?

Thanks,
    Ash

Hi Rajput,
    Yes, there is no strict requirement as to what your salary should be, however I know for a fact that Immigration NZ refers to the Careers stats website to get an idea how much you suppose to earn when working on certain position.
    Here you can see an average market rate for your position http://www.careers.govt.nz/jobs/info...t-technician-/
    Sorry, but I would say your income is quite low for this type of job, hence as it was pointed my JandM, this will raise CO's suspicion if your job is skilled enougth.

Hi Rajput,

I agree with Alena. One of my friend's resident visa got declined last month because his salary was not equivalent to market rate. He is earning $16.75 / hour and applied in Level III, Part C skilled job (Trade worker) Whereas ICT Support and Test Engineers is Skill Level I Part A job.
    Last edited by floating_water; 13th November 2014 at 11:21 AM.

Hi,

As per comments, i presume it does not matter a lot how much points you accumulate as long as your EOI got selected.

When I had looked further i found ICT Support Engineer - ANZSCO 263212 perfectly describes my role.

I am planning April 2015 to apply my SMC application. By that time, i will have 18+ months of experience and salary would around $16/hr.

Would that situation be favorable to me or what should be the minimum wage/hr i should get before i apply? I know a person who got his Residency Visa at $15.50/hr but through Cookery.

I reckon other than salary/wages matter i am all good to get SMC visa.

I got confuse now, what should i do next? Please guide me a direction.

Thanks,
    Ashish

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast