Thread: British fish and chips

Default British fish and chips

Looking at opening a traditional British style chippy in the next year in akl.. Any ideas/locations /investors would be good ??

How different is a British style chippy to a NZ fish'n'chip shop.?

Talk to Simon at www.fishbox.co.nz he owns and runs the only one i know here in the Bay but then i could be wrong. Yorkshire man and i would say i am a regular there. Different way of doing things than in the UK but excellent fish n chips, mushy peas, curry, gravy, cornish pasties.... need i go on :-)

Hungry now ...fab idea good luck

You could check with the local Chamber of Commerce to see what other British based business are around? Perhaps situating near an existing British themed shop would be good.

That's a good idea, and it's led me on to an extra thought. When we were visiting last, our son took us to a French-run French restaurant, which had a further department at the side selling imported French goods - it was very busy. If you ended up in an area where there isn't a Brit Shop, you could perhaps be that as well, as a sideline.

Fishbox has excellent curry sauce! haha
    Good location also, and kiwi's are mad for fish and chips

its seen as a 'xmas' activity with the family, seeing as christmas is high summer and families sit and eat chips together watching the sunset etc

Pilot bar its a nightly activity! (TGA reference)

some where with low rental, as long as the foods good the word will spread, look at big js takeaways as an example

Quote Originally Posted by Fern49 View Post
    How different is a British style chippy to a NZ fish'n'chip shop.?
    Hot fat always on the go with real chips cooked and kept hot in a compartment above, no hanging about for 10 mins while your frozen 'plastic' chips are cooked.
    Pies of various flavours, mushy peas, gravy, curry sauce, pasties, fish cakes, sausages with salt & vinegar ...oh I am in heaven just thinking about it