Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gardening

Default Gardening

Any gardeners going to NZ?

I've had a subscription of Amateur Gardening in the UK, which gives free seeds in nearly every issue (can't bring myself to give them away)

These seeds have piled up and some are of the variety I would like to grow.

The MAF website (http://www.maf.govt.nz/biosecurity/i...ants/index.htm) has a checker to see if the seeds are able to be brought into the country but its not very reliable to say the least.

Does anyone know of a more reliable source for this info ?

That's one thing I am really looking forward to is gardening in NZ and growing all kinds of things that we can't in the UK. My understanding is that you cannot take any seeds with you of any kind. That's why they won't allow xmas decos, dried flowers etc

Perhaps you could drop MAF an e-mail to check the facts though.

Hi, Lil,

Quick correction to a common misunderstanding: You can take Christmas decorations, dried flowers, etc., provided you are prepared for them to treat these items to render the seeds not viable. But people should not have the impression that they cannot take these items into NZ; they can, they just need to declare them and expect them to be treated to render any seeds non-viable. (Unviable? Inviable?)

AliJax,

Bringing seeds in is not permitted. I mean, you can bring them, but MAF will order them destroyed or treat them so they won't sprout. (Non-viable? Unviable? Inviable? )

You can e-mail MAF directly to ask them about all this: enquiry@maf.govt.nz

I'm throwing away lots of favorite seeds, too... love gardening, and it's really too bad!!!

All the best, Rae

Glad I am not the only gardener around.

I am so sad to be leaving some of my plants behind. Especially my birthday tree. But really looking forward to growing different species that I could not do over here.

BTW does anyone know what the population of slugs is like in NZ. I am an organic gardener and slugs have destroyed loads of my Hostas, Lupins and Sunflowers.

Here's a question for you. As some of you may know. It is the time of year in the UK when Spartan apples arrive on our shelves. I just love them. My kiwi wife does too, but she can not remember having this variety in NZ. It would be good to have my own tree, but I don't think MAF would look too favourably on a packet of spartan seeds!
    Can you get Spartan apples out there??? :hopeso

Can't answer for sparton apples but I have seen varieties of both apples and pears that I hadn't noticed in the UK.

I am not an avid gardner like you guys but i am interested and have been going round the 2nd hand bookshops for southern hemisphere gardening books. got a few but am struggling to find any with just natives in. Anyone come across any.

re lupins, again havent seen any slugs but doubt they would dent the lupins here on the south island. they have escaped into the country side and grow wild.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicola
    BTW does anyone know what the population of slugs is like in NZ. I am an organic gardener and slugs have destroyed loads of my Hostas, Lupins and Sunflowers.
    Hi, Nicola,

Have you tried the beer trick? It works extremely well with snails, and I should think slugs would be equally attracted.

Set out containers (small buckets work well) of beer -- not good stuff, obviously, and stale and/or flat will do just fine. Snails climb in, drink their fill, get drunk, can't climb out and expire. Shocking how many you will accumulate, and it puts you off escargot for life.. but works very well!

Might we worth a try..?

All the best, Rae

I can second Rae's beer suggestion. It works very well for snails and we also find slugs when we do it. I normally use a bunch of small bowls near areas we are having problems.

Chris

be aware when using the beer trick. it does work but can kill off birds that then eat them, or so I have been told

Hi, Veronica,

I wasn't aware of bird deaths and never saw any evidence of same, but thanks for mentioning it -- I'd hate to do in any of our beautiful birds in getting rid of the snails! I will mention that we put the beer containers out in the evening and bring them in in the morning, so maybe that keeps the birds from perishing. I usually find that after doing this for a week or so, the snail population is sufficiently reduced so we don't have to do it again for awhile.

All the best, Rae

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast