Thread: Safe Neighborhoods - Auckland, Hamilton, Wellington, Christchurch

Default Safe Neighborhoods - Auckland, Hamilton, Wellington, Christchurch

We got our Residence visas approved on 7th November, 2014 and we are planning to come back to NZ in February (2015). While we were in NZ, we were living in Saint Johns, Auckland (which was a great place to live - but very expensive! - $450 per week).

We need help from those who have spent a considerable amount of time in NZ to identify the safe and affordable neighborhoods in Auckland, Hamilton, Wellington and Christchurch.

We are also open to other areas in the North Island with affordable housing ($80 to $250 pw), safe, good places to eat out, good hospitals, plenty of work opportunities (IT), shopping malls, history and culture, scenic views - preferably beaches, schools are not important as we won't be having kids for the next 3 years.

To make it easier to understand, Glen Innes (aka GI) in Auckland was not a safe place to live because of the crime rate.

We would really appreciate your help!

Cheers!

NZD 80 to 250 p/w is not much around Wellington. You'll end up in a small 2 BR apartment. We love Wellington, we live in Pinehaven, Upper Hutt. I work in IT in Wellington CBD.

Hi I am on the far reaches of Kapiti Council. That 's at least 1hr 40mins from downtown wellington...... you could get a 2/3 bedroom house here, but only towards the upper end of your price bracket !.,and with few of the facilities you require . To get all the facilities you want I think you will have to look at a higher budget.
    Last edited by suzanneinnz; 14th December 2014 at 05:18 PM. Reason: missed an important point !

You would hard pressed to find a decent rental at that price. I would up your budget if you can to over $300 to $350. Decent areas in Hamilton would be Rototuna, some part of Hamilton east. Hospital nearby. We live in Cambridge about 20 to 25 mins away but much nicer, slightly higher rent though. Sorry not near beach though. Have you looked at Tauranga?

We are in Christchurch and rentals are very expensive. Most sit above the $400 a week at least, and for something in a decent area you can be looking at a lot more. Some of the suburbs further away from the city are a little cheaper but not much and it would be quite a drive into town.

I agree with Janeyo.
    For a nice area of Christchurch you're looking at $400 per week in rent. Areas like Shirley, St. Albans and Edgeware have lots of little "Villages" popping up. Clusters of shops in the centre of the suburbs. Plus they're a 15 min drive from the city centre and 10min to a large shopping mall. I'd say they're safe and affordable. I've only had good experiences of living in these areas anyway.

You won't get anything in Hamilton for that budget. Decent areas of Hamilton start at $450 p/w (and hey, you're still in Hamilton for that ); less sought after (they call this "sort after" here) areas you could rent for in the region of $300-350; if you were prepared to live in the really crappy areas you could probably rent for in the region of $250-300 but it will be freezing cold, and a grotty area, and I really don't recommend it.

You need to seriously revise your rental budget.

Quote Originally Posted by farhanniazi View Post
    To make it easier to understand, Glen Innes (aka GI) in Auckland was not a safe place to live because of the crime rate.
    It is not really possible to generalize like that. There are areas that are fine to live in in GI and areas that aren't. Actually similar to St John's, which has a few streets that I would not move into.

The same, I imagine, holds for every area.

For the budget you can get a room in Auckland. Not trying to be funny but I myself am appalled at Auckland prices too.

Towns and cities with cheap rent almost equal to low employment opportunities. Think twice.

If I were you, in IT, I would live at the outskirts between Auckland and Hamilton while looking for a job. You'd be able to go to either cities (or even Tauranga) for interviews. But you may get lucky in other places too. I got a friend having a very good IT job in Palmerston North but I wouldn't move to Palmy while still looking for an IT job.