Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am i eligible for Skilled Immigration because my Engineering degree in Metallurgy but work Experience in Telecom.

Default Am i eligible for Skilled Immigration because my Engineering degree in Metallurgy but work Experience in Telecom.

Dear Freinds,

I want to ask all of you guys that i have a engineering degree in Metallurgy Engineering but i am doing my job in Telecommunication for last 2 years, as far as i know to get the Work experience points your qualification should match with your profession but in my case it is different, My work experience falls in skill shortage list and future growth areas but my degree is not in telecom so if someone can guide me that i can be a succesfull candidate if i apply for skilled immigration. Many thanks for help really

Kind Regards,
    F.Khan

What is the nature of your job in telecommunications? Does it have anything at all to do with metallurgy, etc.?

Hi,

It has nothing to do with metallurgy or materials in my job, its all about Wireless Network and purely communications.

Then as things stand, you won't be able to apply directly for Residence under the SMC without a job offer - as you say yourself, the qualification and experience have to match.

However, looking here http://skillshortages.immigration.govt.nz/ and entering 'telecommunications', then following up several of the jobs there, they are saying that five years' experience can stand instead of a qualification. If you are able to take a recce trip to New Zealand and get a job offer, you can get round this 'hole' in your CV. (I think your situation may be similar to that of the member ChrisMwn is talking to on this thread http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread....026#post508026 - he would be the person to tell you in detail.)

I have to disagree with J&M. Qualifications and job offer don't have to match, they just need to be relevant. Your qualification is about the training of the mind in engineering matters. There is obviously a link between your original qualification and the fact that you are now working in Telecommunications (career progression- that's why your employer employed you, or offered the job).

SM7.10.10 Relevance of work experience to employment

Work experience is relevant to employment if the employer considers, and an immigration officer is satisfied that:
    a.the work experience is directly applicable to the employment; and/or
    b.the offer of employment could not reasonably have been made or the employment could not reasonably have been undertaken if the applicant did not have that work experience.
    Last edited by ChrisMwn; 21st November 2014 at 08:36 AM. Reason: added reference to INZ Instructions

Chris, first you're saying that "qualification and job offer need to be relevant", but then give relevance of work experience to employment, which are different things.
    Degree in Metallurgy Engineering has very remote relevance to Wireless Networking&Telecommunication, this qualification is mostly about manufacturing and control over chemical composition of the products, etc. So I think it will be quite a challenge to try convincing Immigration that there is a link between these two. It's like comparing apple with orange, yes they both have round shape, but in fact are different fruits

So, here I agree with JandM, the only way to apply under SMC now, is to gain 5 years of relevant experience which will substitute for the formal qualification.

don't get too hung up on relevance. the fact is that your employers along the way have seen some connection between qualifcations and previous work experiences. Simply you have an engineering degree and that involves study of process and logic etc. That is relevant to engineering in a telecoms sense. INZ are more likely to take a wider view that you have an engineering qualification, not the specifics of it being in metallurgy. I'm sure if you went through your transcript, you would see papers that have relevance to many fields . or put another way, , you have an engineering degree. telecoms involves engineering.

That's the thing, I dont think F.Khan has got this job based on the qualification. It is a quite common thing in Europe to work in the field which doesn't have any links to the one's degree. For example, I know people with Degree in Law or Economics who work in IT.
    Agree, Metallurgy Engineering and ICT have one similarity - it's word "engineering". However, SMC requirements are quite specific and strict, so not sure how realistic it would be to built the case based just on this.

and are you trying to tell me that law or economics isn't relevant to IT? My experience is that there are many links that can be made and that INZ have a liberal interpretation too.

Well, then following your logic any qualification can be link to any job I wish INZ had your way of thinking.
    Here is what Operational Manual states in regards to relevance of qualification to employment:

Qualifications are relevant to employment if:

a. the major subject area and level of the principal applicant's recognised qualification is directly applicable to the employment; and
    b. the immigration officer is satisfied that the qualification was a key factor in the employer's decision to employ the principal applicant in that position.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast