Thread: Is OIO Permission on just Under 40 Hectares Even Possible for a New Immigrant?

Default Is OIO Permission on just Under 40 Hectares Even Possible for a New Immigrant?

I am thinking of moving to New Zealand from the UK with my family with a view to staying permanently if we like it. I am looking at buying a rural property outside Wellington and one of the properties I am considering is just under 40 hectares. Most of it is brush covered hillside and not usable for farming, although roughly 4 hectares could be used for grazing. It has a stream running through it - it's a valley. I don't believe it is currently farmed and I am not planning on farming it either, although I might plant some fruit and/or nut trees.

I haven't chosen a visa yet. We are fine on points for the SMC, but is one better than another?
    I'm guessing the property requires OIO permission? Is permission going to even be possible for a new immigrant?
    Can anyone recommend a good solicitor for the application?
    How much is the whole thing liable to cost (ball park figure)?

I haven't chosen a visa yet. We are fine on points for the SMC, but is one better than another?
    Better for what?

If you apply for Residence under the SMC, it's possible to qualify without having a job offer. Once granted Residence without conditions, you can do whatever you like that's legal once in NZ - work, start a business, study, do nothing if you can afford it. But the underlying expectation is that you will be using the skills you prove in the application in order to be employed in the NZ economy.

If you want to have a work visa, for the main applicant of a family, at least, a job offer is a prerequisite. Nobody can put in an application for a work visa in isolation. One person alone, or the first of a couple, has to have a firm job offer and show that as part of their visa application. S/He can sponsor her/his partner for a partner-sponsored work visa, which is an open visa allowing the partner to take any work offered, skilled or unskilled.

About the property you mention - have you seen this website? http://www.linz.govt.nz/regulatory/o...st-new-zealand It looks as though the decision will be based just as much on your personal situation and actions as on the property itself.