Thread: SMC Application - Section E4 Detailed reason for claiming points for skilled Job

Default SMC Application - Section E4 Detailed reason for claiming points for skilled Job

Hi there,

I am based out of New Zealand and have a skilled job in the IT industry. I am currently in the process of completing the application and I was wondering if anyone could help me with the section E4.

it states Please indicate why your job is skilled. Give a detailed reason in support of your claim for your points. We recommend that you first check our definition of skilled employment.

You should explain what is in your job description and how this is consistent with the occupational tasks for your occupation in the Australian and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations (ANZSCO) Also explain how your recognised qualification and/or work experience is relevant to your job.

Does anyone have any ideas on how long it should be and anything specifically to include?

Thanks!

See SM7 here http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/6954.htm, and also the description of your job that you can find via the Search here. http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@....01.2&num=&view

You then need to take the descriptions line by line, comparing them with your job description, and stating how they match up. You also need to state what qualifications were/are required for you to get your job in the first place, and to be able to carry it out, and then match these up to the topics you studied in the course leading up to your qualification. How long the whole thing turns out to be will depend on what the job descriptions (ANZSCO and your personal one) and the descriptions of qualifications are - there's no 'right' length.

assuming the following is correct, one simple sentence is enough. "My job substansialy matches that described at ANZSCO (XX XXXX) and is relevant to my qualifications and previous work experience."

Well, that's easier than I imagined! If they'll take that, that's great.

I'd better if you include a short explanation as to how your qualification(s) and previous job experience(s) (if any) have facilitated your current employment. What these have taught you in terms of skills, knowledge, etc. In case your work experience was gained in a non comparable labour market, which means you won’t be able to include it on your application, this is a chance to give a brief overview on how this related to your current position. You can find more info regarding work experience requirements here http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/30570.htm

If you submit an application online the maximum character length is 3000 (including spaces).
    Overall I had around 450 words in this part.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    You also need to state what qualifications were/are required for you to get your job in the first place
    What about qualification that is started before an ongoing skilled employment but officially obtained after the start date on the employment contract?

I can't find that operations manual is addressing that issue specifically. Could it be a problem?

SM7.10.1 Assessment of whether employment is skilled
    An offer of employment or current employment in New Zealand will be assessed as skilled if it meets the requirements of (a), (b) or (c) below.

The occupation is included in part A of the List of Skilled Occupations held at Appendix 6 and the principal applicant can demonstrate that their offer of employment or current employment substantially matches the description for that occupation (including core tasks) as set out in the ANZSCO and:
    the applicant holds a relevant recognised qualification which is at, or above, the qualification level on the NZQF (see SM14.5) that corresponds to the indicative skill level described for that occupation in the ANZSCO; or
    the applicant has the relevant recognised work experience that the ANZSCO indicates may substitute the required qualification; or
    the employment is in an occupation included on the Long Term Skill Shortage List and the applicant meets the relevant requirements specified in column three of the Long Term Skill Shortage List for that occupation; or
    the employment is in an occupation that requires New Zealand registration by law to be undertaken and is included at SM19.5 and the applicant holds evidence of full or provisional registration in that occupation in New Zealand.
    notwithstanding (a) (ii), applicants with Skill Level One Occupations can substitute the required qualification with five years of relevant work experience.

As much as informative it already is, I don’t think operational manual can possibly cover each and every specific situation.
    I personally haven’t come across a requirement that would state that qualification has to be obtained prior to the employment only, even though it might seem as a more logical sequence.
    Depending on your situation (if the qualification you’ve eventually obtained is directly related to your job) you could point out that in order for you to get a full picture on such&such occupation you’ve decided to gain the practical experience while you’re still studying...

I could hardly put it in such a context since I've gained more that 6 years of work experience prior to obtaining a degree. I did it just for fun. In IT field a term "relevant qualification" is nonsense per se because nobody really cares about qualifications and most of the qualifications are pretty much outdated by the time you graduate. Of course, that explanation wouldn't be very well accepted by INZ.

Since my work experience is not gained in "comparable label market" (just 2yrs in NZ), I'm trying to figure it out which approach to take - experience or qualification. I know that work experience in non comparable labor market can be considered as recognized if "is relevant to the principal applicant's current skilled employment in New Zealand " and "the principal applicant has current skilled employment in New Zealand" (SM11.10), but anyway, I see many potential troubles if I go that way.

From my point of view it doesn't matter when the qualification is obtained since I can, technically, get a new job offer with a renewed date from my current NZ employer - if that really matters?

I see all the points you're making here. It's all pretty much of a toss-up which is the better way to present your CV to give INZ the easiest way to look at you, isn't it? A lot of ICT people are in the same boat, given that the fast development of the industry makes it awkward to fit into a 'normal' model. I would think Karen Phillips and ChrisMwn will have seen similar cases and will tell you what other people have done successfully.

Hey Guys,

Had a similar question about this particular part on the EOI. My ANZSCO code is 313112 ICT CUSTOMER SUPPORT OFFICER

On the ANZSCO link, the job description shows as :

determining software and hardware requirements to provide solutions to problems
    responding to inquiries about software and hardware problems
    adapting existing programs to meet users' requirements
    installing and downloading appropriate software
    ensuring efficient use of applications and equipment
    implementing computer networks
    designing and maintaining websites
    repairing and replacing peripheral equipment such as terminals, printers and modems
    may work in a call centre

I basically do all the stuff except for (designing and maintaining websites). My question is that does this tasks have to be written down in the company's job description as well ? My offer letter which has a job description field is not that detailed (However i come across the ANZSCO tasks daily on my job since I am service desk technician/Helpdesk officer). It doesn't cover all the tasks which ANZSCO has outlined.