Thread: Residency Requirement Fulfillment - ANZSCO codes?

Default Residency Requirement Fulfillment - ANZSCO codes?

Hi all,

So i'm just about to get a visa based on an ANZSCO code - am I safe to assume that means I 'fulfill' the requirements of the ANZSCO description (even though I don't have enough years' experience)?

Does this mean that I can try for residency with my next job contract extension? I'd fulfill all requirements in terms of age, degree qualified, health, character, partner in skilled work, partner with job in NZ 12 months, 12 months experience in NZ myself.
    My only doubt is fulfilling ANZSCO requirements, but since I'm getting a visa based on this...surely that means I fulfill?

Thanks!!

Sarah

I should think so. The question that comes to mind is just about contract work - INZ want to be assured that contract work is normal in your career, and that further contracts are pretty much assured. See SM7.15. b iii. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/30549.htm

no not at all. For temporary entry, INZ just use ANZSCO to code the occupations, so they can capture how many "XYZ's" are given work visas. When it comes to residence they will assess whether there is a substansial match between the work that you do, and an ANZSCO occupation which is skilled. The fact that you have been given a work visa as an "XYX" might though be useful in any argument as to whether you do perform those tasks though! If you already have a "history of contract work", and an ongoing contract why aren't your doing an EOI now?

Well, it depends how much 'history' they need. I'm just about to be given an 8 month Skilled Work visa after having worked since February on a Working Holiday Visa. Would my WHV experience count? It was under contract.
    I haven't submitted any EOI because my work contract isn't very long, so i'm hoping that in April i'll be offered an extension of 12-24 months and would then be able to use that to submit EOI and begin the residency process.
    By that point, i'd have points for:
    Work experience of 1 year in NZ
    12 months or more working in NZ
    Outside Auckland
    Partner with skilled work

Which, according to results from the points calculator (which I understand is only indicative, but still) would get me plenty of points, well above the 100 threshold.

The only thing I would be missing is work experience or the specific qualification named in my ANZSCO code description (my degree qualification is extremely relevant to the work I do, but it is not a qualification aimed specifically at my career). I would have just one year and a bit of experience, where the ANZSCO code says I should have 3 (or the appropriate qualification).

If I didn't have enough experience at that point, and continued on work visas, would I be able to submit my EOI and begin the process BEFORE fulfilling 3 years, given how long it takes them to process the whole residency thing? Say, if I submitted my EOI 7-8 months shy of the 3 years?

No. They won't accept anything (qualifications, work experience) in advance. Think about it - all sorts of things can arise in life (sudden illness, accident, employing company closes down, natural disaster) to stop someone carrying out and completing even the firmest intentions. An application which anticipates one of the requirements just gets sent back as soon as an official has the first minimal look at the details.

Okay, fair point. I just figured that precisely because so many things can change in a year, you'd be allowed to amend applications - mostly for things like contact details, I suppose?

In this case, i'm guessing our only option is to continue with work visas until I have 3 years' experience in my field?

Our plan would be for me to continue with work visas, and my partner to get the partnership visa (no contract = no visa, we've found out, and he's a contractor, so...!), and then at the 3-year mark apply for SMC, with him as a partner on my visa. I would also assume, having seen the directives on level of English for non-principal applicants, that 3 years working in NZ in an English-speaking environment would be more than enough for my partner to qualify in terms of English level (he has no English qualifications)?

Thanks for all your help and support so far!!

mostly for things like contact details, I suppose?
    Yes, or a new passport number, or you get an extra qualification.

In this case, i'm guessing our only option is to continue with work visas until I have 3 years' experience in my field?
    It sounds like it.
    3 years working in NZ in an English-speaking environment would be more than enough for my partner to qualify in terms of English level (he has no English qualifications)?
    Looking here http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/30541.htm at SM5.10 b ii, it seems that depends on the job he has being a skilled job.