Thread: Kiwi Christmas for childless immigrants: ideas? traditions?

Lightbulb Kiwi Christmas for childless immigrants: ideas? traditions?

Hi all,

This is going to be our second Kiwi Christmas, but this time it's a bit different, because last year we'd just arrived and everything was hectic and new and shiny, so we just had a mix of our countries' traditions, and spent much needed time together.

But I was just wondering what childless immigrants normally do for Christmas?

I'm sad that we have no family here to spend the holidays with, but I can see the silver lining that this means we are at the mercy of nobody but ourselves, so I want to make the most of that!

So far i'm not even sure what normal Kiwi families do, let alone childless and family-less couples!

We're planning on some nice cocktails, maybe a BBQ a-la-Kiwi, and lots of cheery Christmas/Mexican/British songs but need some more ideas!

Thanks!!! (I'm getting excited for Christmas now!!

Go camping? Invite people for a BBQ?

If the weather's nice, make a posh picnic (champagne, nice glasses, smoked salmon etc) and take it somewhere secluded and beautiful.

Or do what we are (another childless couple) - cancel Xmas! it is not going to be Xmas anyway in the middle of the summer, so why bother It has been lovely not having to get all stressed about it and I am reserving Xmas for when we go back to Europe...

Neddrick, If you are looking for company at Xmas, in some areas Xmas dinner is catered for by the Salvation Army and other associations, otherwise make it a special day for just you two, it can be rather nice.

Quote Originally Posted by neddrick98 View Post
    We're planning on some nice cocktails, maybe a BBQ a-la-Kiwi, and lots of cheery Christmas/Mexican/British songs but need some more ideas!
    Like most public holidays, we invite a few friends over for a BBQ and a couple of beers. We don't bother with the any songs but we usually feel satisfied that we're NOT stuck on traffic going to the same places as everyone else.

We split our days: Xmas is with my in-laws and their kids. They're English so they like the "northern" version and it's our turn to host this year. Turkey etc. But if it's a nice day we'll be eating it on the back deck by the pool.

St Stephen's/Boxing Day is for grown-ups. Our mates will rock by and we'll be barbecuing and quoffing beverages. Again, hopefully on the deck by the pool.