Thread: letter of offer minimum working hours

Default letter of offer minimum working hours

hi I've been in chch nearly 2 years. On applying for a new work visa immigration told me my work contract and letter of offer did not include a minimum of 30 hours per week. after approaching my employer to amend my letter of offer to submit to immigration he refused to do so.Immigration told me if your employer wont compile your two options are find new employment of face being deported back to the UK with my wife and young son .I have found new employment but now my pay is less. Can anyone advise on my current situation.im still waiting on visa

Hi. So long as your pay is within the "normal" range for that occupation in NZ and it is or a minimum of 30 hours a week, you should be okay. See http://www.trademe.co.nz/jobs/salary-guide, If your current visas are nearing expiry, talk to INZ in Christchurch. They should offer you interim visas. Good luck!

Hi thanks for the info. I still think it's wrong that any employer can put you out of work because he won't change the paper work to suit immigration. The system is flawed I've spoke to the department of labour and they said he doesn't have to change it and immigration won't give me a visa without it saying minimum 30 hrs. Employers can terminate people's employment because of this and there's nothing you can do about it.

I suspect that you are a Contractor, contracted if and when work is available, with no minimum guaranteed hours? if you don't have an employment contract, then INZ wont be interested, and if you do its a requirement for a work visa that it is for a minimum of 30 hours per week.

I was employed by the company for over 6 months. My employer refused to give the paper work immigration required for me to obtain a new work visa. When my employment started with them I submitted the contract to change my visa over immigration originally accepted it. But now my visa was due to expire they they wanted it to say ( minimum 30 hrs per week ) I was in full time employment.

All you can do is get that clause in your current contract about guaranteed minimum of 30 hours or get a new contract that does say that. I know that's not so easy as it sounds. There have been a lot of employers in Christchurch that are putting clauses into contracts about if the weather is bad and all sorts. INZ are well aware of this, but, the rule is "minimum of 30 hours a week" written into the contract - or no visa - sorry!

Hi ye that's right. My new employment contract States ( minimum 30 hrs per week.) other wise I would of had to go back to the UK. I just wanted to put the word out to let people know what can go on. I Recived my new visa today and start my new job on Monday.