Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Touring Australia

Default Touring Australia

Hi All,

We are staying in Wellington (New Zealand ) , I am planning to tour Australia with my family ( myself, my wife, my 2.5 years old son, and my parents total 5 people )for 8 days and 7 nights , I like to visit Gold cost , Sydney and Melbourne .

I don't have any idea about Australia like what are the places to visit in Gold cost , Sydney and Melbourne (if some one guide me with MUST SEE places in these cities that will be great ) ???

Where do I need to look for accommodation ?? (IN CBD or any suburbs or any specific area ) ??? so that it will be convenient to tour Gold cost , Sydney and Melbourne ???

I am planning to Hire a car to Rome around the city , how costly in hiring a car in Australia ?? Can i drive in Australia using NZ Full licence ??

I will be in very tight financial budget and if you guys can suggest things which will be cheap that will help me a lot

Out of 8 days and 7 nights i have roughly planed something like this (but i am flexible with you guys suggestion )

Day 1)

Wellington to Gold cost

Visiting Brisbane CBD and come back to Gold cost hotel

Day 2)

Any theme park in Gold cost (please suggest the best theme park ???) whole day

Day 3)

Visit some places in gold cost and in the evening starting to Sydney by flight

night rest in Sydney hotel

Day 4 )

Whole day Sydney tour

Opera house
    Darling Harbour
    Sydney CBD
    Sydney Bridge

and no idea about other places

Day 5)

Hire a car and go to Canberra and come back to Sydney

No Idea about what places to see in Canberra

Day 6)

visit some other places in Sydney and in the evening starting to Melbourne by Flight

Day 7)

Visit the Twelve Apostles and Melbourne CBD

day 8)

Vacate hotel room and go to Melbourne sea aquarium and in the evening leave to Wellington

On the Summary i need suggestions for the below keeping the tight finance budget in Mind

1) Where to stay ??
    2) What are the must see places in these cities which no visitor will miss touring these cities??
    3) i am also ready to drop Canberra if i need additional day in any of the other cities if Canberra is not worth visiting

Thanks a Lot

Your itinerary is so packed and allows you so little time to explore anything in Oz! Why not pick one of those destinations - even then, 8 days is a very short trip.

Thanks kanga !!!

I just want to have a feel of the country and wanted to cover as much places as possible as i am not sure if i will go to Oz in near future .

Thanks

Hi Dilip,
    I am originally from Sydney, although I have not lived in Aust. for a while. I am not sure you need a car to do the things you have listed for Sydney. They are all very central and can be accessed by train and walking. You could think about a visit to Taronga Zoo. You can get there from Circular Quay by ferry. The ferry ride to the zoo is a good way to see the Opera house and the bridge from the water. You can also walk to the Opera Hse , the Rocks and Bridge from Circular Quay.
    Sue

surley Sydney to Canberra will take most of the day let alone return! I was going to suggest Sea world with your son but you are doing something similar in Melbourne wet and wild might be good relaxing time we enjoyed Tamborine mountain a short drive inland when we went to GC lots of antique gift shops etc and things to do. As Kanga says I think you are not going to have time to catch your breath we did GC in 8 days and did not see eveything

Thanks for all the information , please let me know for any other suggestion as well . Thanks

Just a thought ........ your NZ residency will not get you into Australia ...... make sure you have the necessary visas for entry....sounds as if i am pre judging i am not my friend recently bought a ticket to go to Sydney and found out at the airport that she didnt have the right visa and assumed that here permanent residency to NZ would provide the necessary but it didnt. :-(

Hi Dilip,
    Janey is right . Canberra is at least a few hours drive from Sydney (one way). It is a 'modern' purpose built city. Don't know if it is really worth the effort !!. But that s a Sydney girl talking . If you want a drive from Sydney you could consider going to the Blue Mountains (Katoomba), or the south coast to Stanwell Park (beach and hangliders ....sometimes).
    Cheers
    Sue

Thanks All , i have dropped my plan to visit to Canberra so now it will be 3 days in Melbourne 3 days in sydney and 2 days in gold cost .

@catt , thanks i am planning to apply for a tourist visa before i travel .

Any must see places for the visit of3 days in Melbourne 3 days in sydney and 2 days in gold cost is most welcome

Thanks

Hi again,
    Sydney s beauty is all about the location on the harbour. You should try to take a ferry trip somewhere. There are organised tourist trips to set places but you should
    be able to get the same views from one of the commuter ferries . Most leave from the Quay , so go right by the bridge , opera house and probably Fort Dennison too. You
    could take a ferry/hydrofoil to Manly Beach. It is a commuter 'ferry' not a tourist one so cheaper. I think there might be an aquarium at Manly too. Although the 'new' one at Darling harbour is probably more modern.
    Sue

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast