Thread: Coming to New Zealand to live and give birth

Default Coming to New Zealand to live and give birth

Hi there,
    My partner is a UK citizen who is currently pregnant and we are planning to have the baby in New Zealand. We don't have time to apply for a sponsorship visa through me before she is due to fly, so we're wanting to check what the options would be in terms of entering the country. I'm aware that you must tick on the immigration arrival card if you are pregnant, and we'll do this, however are wondering if this will affect her ability to be in the country. I'm a New Zealand citizen and the father of the child, and we have ample funds to support the birth of the child should we not be eligible for free NZ healthcare. We are however worried that she'll be turned away at immigration after such a long flight. Our intention is to enter the country and have the baby in New Zealand, and then while here apply for a temporary work visa to allow her to stay for a year. I will be working myself during this time.
    Has anyone encountered a situation similar to this or have any advice? At the moment it isn't an option for me to return to the UK so our preference is definitely to have the child here.
    Any help or advice would be much appreciated.
    I've spoken to INZ who were helpful but not able to give any definitive answers.
    Thank you.

Please take this as my opinion, not proper advice. But seeing as she would not have a visa upon entering the country, she would enter the country being a tourist. Now if she has a UK passport, this means that she is able to stay a maximum period of 6 months. The immigration officer might find that questionable if you have just given birth (or are about to) so this could pose a problem. It's very much a grey area, but I think you should definitely acknowledge the fact that she will be entering on a tourist visa (also she would not have you as her NZ partner by her side to verify the story?)