Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fridge freezes - repair or replace?

We had a F&P fridge for six years in the UK, bought s/h hand from neighbours who'd shipped it in from NZ, then found it wouldn't fit in the kitchen of their new house - so they CAN move and survive! It did us a good turn as our previous one had just 'died'.

Quote Originally Posted by breeze View Post
    ... I know you can haggle a bit in Harvey Norman but I want it to be real cheap. Have my eyes on a Mitsubishi 375l (1 door, 2 drawers) one but the cheapest I've seen now is $1097. Sigh...

Not buying a second hand one ever again though!
    Actually noticed a Mitsubishi 375l model in Noel Leeming outlet store for $899 for the 'steel' or coloured ones and $799 for the white one.
    They did have minor cosmetic damage but other than that appeared fine, was also offered it down to $879 not sure if would go lower as didn't ask.

Ian

Thanks Ian!
    Which NL outlet was it do you remember?

Sorry, thought they called outlet stores but they call them clearance centres, see https://www.noelleeming.co.nz/clearancecentre for details.

Ian

The fridge seems to have corrected itself. Great, saves me a thousand dollars!

Good news!

It appears this thread has jinxed me. Our Samsung side-by-side fridge/freezer has shown problems. Bought exactly 4 years ago, I can't believe there's a problem. The display LED shows flashing temperature on the fridge side (freezer is working fine). Online states flashing temp means a rising temperature than what it should be. Pulled back cover off to discover mass frost build up. After fully melted (hot water spay bottle), and food back in, the fridge lasted for 1 week with same display flashing problem. Took cover off and same frost build-up. This time, I went into manual mode and the bottom element heater indeed works. Tested sensors and all seem to be ok. From what i've been reading, this particular fridge goes into defrost mode every 8 - 12 hours. Perhaps control board faulty. Will know in another weeks time if same problem persists. model Samsung SRS-585HDIS

Good luck!

Hi Super _BQ,
    I have the same problem with my side by side Samsung. It is in the freezer side though . We had Samsung out and they replaced the sensor but the problem re -occured. My understanding of the problem is that when the condensation forms on the coils it freezes, eventually turning into an ' ice box '. Once there is too much ice the heater does not seem to be able to cope with defrosting it ,so then , perversely the excess of ice causes the freezer to stop functioning !. My fridge is Australian one but sitting in Islamabad at the moment. Because Islamabad has 'load shedding' where they turn the electricity off every hour or 2 we get a lot of condensation in the fridge (on the coils) so now Samsung will not take any more responsibility they just blame it on the loadshedding. It is worse in summer. I spent 2 summers taking everything out of the freezer, undoing the inside to access the coils, and defrosting by throwing warm water on it. Very messy, and necessary every 3 days to keep the freezer functioning ! If the electricity was "on" them I could defrost with a hair dryer.
    I am now in NZ and the fridge is still in Islamabad, so the defrosting is no longer my hassle. But the problem remains with the fridge.
    Maybe you need to check that the heating element that burns off the ice is working properly ?
    Sue

Hi Sue,

I'm thinking I will need a closer look next time if the temperature display flashes again. I've confirmed the heating coil at the bottom (in pics above) does go very hot when I set fridge to have defrost on - but have not set to defrost mode long enough to witness ALL the ice to melt off. I assumed the element was so hot that it would melt the ice ins fast time. But the 2nd time I took the cover off, it seems no frost on the bottom fins - just on the top ; which may mean the same issue you're having with your fridge.

During my last check, I looked at the evaporator. Apparently these Samsung fridges uses 2 heaters. When I test probed the lines, it shows resistance meaning it should function.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast