Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fridge freezes - repair or replace?

Default Fridge freezes - repair or replace?

So our fridge (top fridge bottom freezer) top half has decided to freeze everything even though it's only set at no.2 as usual. It's frustrating to see the milk frozen in the morning. The bottom freezer half functions fine although I think it's colder than usual. I also noticed higher consumption of electricity overall.

Has anyone called for a repair serviceman to fix this type of problem? Or it's better to just replace the fridge?

Depending on the age of your fridge as to whether it should be replaced.

Fridge is Fisher & Paykel - only 3 yo. Contacting a fridge repair guy to quote - will see.
    What happened to fridges that lasts 20 years?

Quote Originally Posted by breeze View Post
    Fridge is Fisher & Paykel - only 3 yo. Contacting a fridge repair guy to quote - will see.
    Did you buy it new in NZ?

If so contact the supplier to have it repaired / replaced.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by breeze View Post
    My in-laws have had the same fridge for over 25 years. The reason it has lasted so long is that when it breaks down they get it repaired. The benefits of repairing appliances are that it keeps them out of the landfill and supports your local economy.

Told the repair guy the model number and problem. He said it's common for F&P to have that problem. He could repair it now for $100 but the problem would come back. He said he would buy a new fridge. Hmm..

We bought the fridge for $100 from a friend who had it for a year from new.

My parents' fridge never had a problem for years and years and years. That's what I thought fridges should be, no?! Hate to go shopping for a necessity.

Long gone. My parents had a Sears side/by/side fridge that lasted over 30 years. It had a similar problem that the fridge would nearly freeze. Ended up replacing it because of the high electricity consumption. There's good reasons why fridges today won't last that long - that's because they won't make any profit. Maytag was known to make reliable dish washers and whiteware but that's long gone despite their premium price tag.

Ah, I know that dilemma. It feels so wrong to throw something away that is not old enough yet.

I have a (relatively new) Samsung fridge that didn't survive the move to New Zealand. Apparently electrical appliances can't be insured so I guess that gave the movers a green light to bring the thing in horizontally. Anyway, we let the fridge rest on the same spot for two weeks before we plugged it in, but even though the lights go on, it doesn't cool.

I don't want to toss it away without knowing what the reason of the defect it. Does someone here maybe know a good and trustworthy repair service in the Wellington region?

So glad, we didn't ship our UK fridge (we left it in for the renters) and we purchased a new machine just after we purchased our NZ home.

Sigh, my fridge didn't correct itself. It's still crazy.. normal for 1-2 days and freeze up a few days. Waiting for the Christmas sale. When and where's the big sale usually? I know you can haggle a bit in Harvey Norman but I want it to be real cheap. Have my eyes on a Mitsubishi 375l (1 door, 2 drawers) one but the cheapest I've seen now is $1097. Sigh...

Not buying a second hand one ever again though!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast