Thread: Smog in Christchurch that bad?

Default Smog in Christchurch that bad?

I've been reading about how bad the smog in Christchurch is in the winter, but I'd like to get an idea of just how bad it is. Living in Southern CA, I think just about anywhere else would be an improvement. I'll be going to Christchurch for a holiday in January so I won't be able to see it for myself. Is it more of a visual thing, or can you feel it in your lungs? Are certain areas less smoggy than others? I do a lot of mountain biking, and I'd like to get as much untainted oxygen in me as possible....

Thanks,
    Jason

we live in the city itself and it hasn't been very apparent to us down here, although the people who live in the port hills to the south of the city can see the smog from there. it is a situation that is going to improve as the council are bringing in measures to cut down the amount of wood fires that are used. Hopefully they will bring in emission testing for cars as well. If you want to do a lot of 'clean air' mountain biking theres loads of places to go around here.

It isn't such that it should put anyone off wanting to live here.

Whilst it may have been a real problem in the past when most people used coal or wood fires the issue is far far less now. But the legend lives on - a bit like foreigners expecting to experience a London Pea Souper.

Certainly I notice pollution in the air far less on a cold winter's night in Chch than I did on a hot summer's day in London.

There was an article in The Press last week which suggested that some of the more scary statistics regarding smog in Chch were of dubious value as they were based on "expert" estimates rather than empirical data. No doubt yet another example of a pressure group with an axe to grind trying to blind/frighten us with science and horror stories to get us to do what they want.

Thanks for the replies. That sounds somewhat encouraging, I found it somewhat surprising that an island would have a smog problem.

When there is a problem it's due to a temperature inversion - I'm not sure exactly how it works, but I think that you end up with a cloud blanket over the flat part of the city which stops the pollution from escaping into the air. This s why the 'problem' in Chch is on cold nights during the winter (more people burning things and the conditions to trap the smoke) than during the hot days in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeM
    When there is a problem it's due to a temperature inversion - I'm not sure exactly how it works...
    Now you know!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temperature_inversion
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/feature...phabet27.shtml

An inversion occurs when the air at ground level is much cooler than the air at altitude (the inverse of the norm). The warmer air acts like a cap, preventing normal convection, and therefore trapping pollutants, smoke etc from dispersing. Seen also in LA due to the surrounding mountains funneling the air, and the huge amounts of heat generated from the city.