Thread: Any conditions on job under Skilled Migrant Category?

Default Any conditions on job under Skilled Migrant Category?

Hi,

I got my SMC resident visa approved 2 weeks ago. Migrant Levy & passports are sent to get blue stickers.

I am into IT Security domain. My questions is - is there any condition to work in your relevant domain only, on basis of which SMC was approved, for certain period of time before person could pick up any odd job?

And what is AIP and when do we get it? What does it contain?

Thanks in advance!
    Cheers
    Last edited by s.sharma; 2nd December 2014 at 10:37 PM. Reason: typo

Congratulations Sharma for getting approved.
    As mentioned by JandM on another post: http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=39759
    "'Approved in Principle' means that all your paperwork is in order to get a Residence visa, but you haven't got it yet, not till you pay the Migrant Levy and send in your passport for the sticker".

Congratulations.

From your timeline, I see you have your Residence approved following a CO interview. This means you will have no conditions on your visa, so you (and your partner if one was included in your application) will be able to take any job you are offered, skilled or not, or start a business, or study with fees at the domestic rate (though not eligible for any government student grant until you have been a Resident for at least three years), or do nothing, if you could afford it.

As innocent said, AIP is just the go-ahead to pay the migrant levy and send in your passport, and you've done that.

Thanks for the clarification guys!

Cheers!

Hi Guys,

Another question in continuation to my previous one:

Let's say I am based in NZ but working for an employer in US who doesn't have any branch in NZ and the regular pay checks I receive in my NZ bank account. Do you see/know any issue with that? Will I be entitled to standard taxation per NZ laws or something different?

Thanks in advance!
    Cheers!

I don't see any issue with that, one option would be to open a company and work as consultant. I think you will be exempted from GST but standard business taxation will be applied, following which you can pay lesser tax on take home salary once business expenses are deducted. Just one option!

Hi Sun777,

I just called IRD and got the info that normal taxation schemes would be applicable in my case as well. I'll checkout other options too as been suggested by you.

Thanks

You would be treated as a Tax Resident, so any worldwide income would be taxable. What Sun777 suggested might put more money in your pocket, but you would require a Tax Expert's help in setting that up. Also Security pros are in good demand in NZ, especially Pen Testers and Architects.