Thread: "First entry before" the same day

Question "First entry before" the same day

My NZ visa has the Jan 15th in the "First entry before" field. However, I already have a ticket booked with the arrival date on the same day (i.e. Jan 15th). Would that be a problem when crossing the border? Any previous experience from anyone? :-\

Thank you in advance for any advice.

yes you would be OK. Despite the fact the visa says "first entry before, it actually expires "at the beginning of the day after the date"

E3.10 Currency of visas

See also Immigration Act 2009 ss 6, 62, 63, 77

ii.the beginning of the day after the date that is specified by the conditions of the visa as the last day of the period of time within which travel is allowed to New Zealand.
    Last edited by ChrisMwn; 3rd December 2014 at 07:48 AM. Reason: ref to instructions

If your flight is delayed for any reason and you don't arrive that day, that would be a problem.

correctly:

E3.10 Currency of visas

e.If the holder of a visa is outside New Zealand, the visa expires on the earlier of

ii.the beginning of the day after the date that is specified by the conditions of the visa as the last day of the period of time within which travel is allowed to New Zealand.

So you must arrive by midnight on the 15th
    Last edited by ChrisMwn; 3rd December 2014 at 08:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by girlwithanewf View Post
    If your flight is delayed for any reason and you don't arrive that day, that would be a problem.
    Yes, there is no leeway - no excuses accepted.

except of course its the boarding that would be critical. If you had already boarded, then a delay/late arrival would be OK. i.e if you had checked in for the flight and been cleared by APP, then you would not be off-loaded.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMwn View Post
    correctly:

E3.10 Currency of visas

So you must arrive by midnight on the 15th
    I assume, midnight 15 is 15.01.2015 23:59:59 (not 15.01.2015 00:00:01) right?

Thank you so much for clarifying and referring to the official document. Finally, something I can print and show to the airline crew if any questions arise when boarding. I wish I new NZ has such peculiar statements in its visa. Usually a visa states that it is valid from a specific date to some period or whatever, but here is the other way around: it is valid from now till a specific date and then for a given period. In this case I would've asked for a later day of arrival, to give oneself some freedom. Anyway, it's 7am when my flight will be landing, so unless there is a huuuge delay I should be fine.

yes, by 2359 hours on the 15 January. You will be "pre-cleared" when you go to check in for you NZ bound flight. (APP is "advanced passenger processing) The airline would not let you board if your visa was not valid. I've quoted the relevant legislation and also the Immigration Instruction reference E 3.10 (e). Your airline will be aware of those requirements. If they are unsure they would be contacting "Border Operations" at Auckland Airport who would clear your arrival. I also see that you would be boarding you flight on the 14th, so very unlikely to raise any questions.

For further reference I also found a document describing recent changes in visa labels. According to the document, they previously called it "First entry by:". My guess is that they wanted to resolve the confusion that the entry is permitted also before that day (if my understanding of English is correct, "first entry by" can be also read as "First entry on:"). But now they added another confusion of whether "before" is inclusive the date or not. Again, depending on one's background, "before <the date>" can be read as "before close of business on <the date>", before "before the end of <the date>" or "Before beginning of <the date>" or "not after <the date>" etc. What a mess...

But I also called the visa/immigration service in NZ, they confirmed I should be fine if my plane lands on the same day that visa states as "First entry before".
    Last edited by zoejif; 3rd December 2014 at 09:44 PM. Reason: typo