Thread: Temporary Work Visa based on Partnership denied, been together 4 years HELP!

Unhappy Temporary Work Visa based on Partnership denied, been together 4 years HELP!

Hello Everyone -

I need some advice on what my next step should be. Here is the jist;

My NZ partner and I (I am American) have been together almost 4 years, living together for 3. We met in NZ and have since lived in Australia, Canada, USA, Ecuador together and have traveled for long periods of time together to places like SE Asia and Central America. All this time we have lived together and I included lots of proof of our relationship, living together, buying a car together, bank statements, photos etc. Even though unconventional, we tick all the boxes and had an overwhelming amount of proof, as anyone whose been together 4 years would.

So after our last trip, we decided I would go home to the States and my partner would return home so we could both work, save up some money, visit family, me apply for the NZ visa and then move to NZ together again (as its our favorite place we've lived!) In total, we will be apart for about 3 months. As everyone knows reading these forums, international couples are hard and its even harder when one person can't work in a certain country.

Well my visa was not approved and I was issued a visitor visa instead as the immigration officer said we are not "currently" living together. Are couples not allowed to spend time apart? We've been living together for 3 years and together for 4! It said I can to go NZ on a visitor visa and apply again once we are living together. But me not working for 1-2 months waiting for a visa is not financially realistic. Being apart for 3 months visiting family negates the past 4 years of being together? This to me is SO silly and it seems it was denied based off a technicality because I am visiting my family!

Please help! Any advice would be great! Thanks so much!!!

Nessie
    Last edited by Nessie31; 10th December 2014 at 07:30 AM.

Sorry to say, once INZ have refused an application, it would probably be more hassle to try to challenge the decision than to go along with the suggestion of a visitor's visa so you can get the bit of 'currently together' evidence they want in order to tick that last box. (Some people in similar circumstances don't even get the offer of the visitor's visa.)

Thanks JandM! So I've been reading another forum and it says living together for at least 3 months to "tick the box" on living together. We are going to be in Australia with his family for about 2 months, so that would count and then another month in NZ together.

Would I have to re submit all my paper work, medical and all, once in NZ? Thanks

Yes, you'll have to submit another application from scratch.

yes, you are dealing with a technicality. it should not take 2-3 months for an INZ office to deal with a work visa application in the circumstances. the trouble is, nowe the longer time you spe3nd apart, the dimmer view INZ will take...yes, its silly but they would say they are only applying the rules!