Thread: Getting PR after JSV

Default Getting PR after JSV

Dear All,

Im just wondering how much time is required to get PR after getting a job on JSV? We have applied for SMC and my hubby got JSV and he got the job on 24th Nov 2014. He did contact to CO in London branch on the same day and shared job offer details. Now we are waiting for update from CO. normally how much time they take to give conditional PR? actually my husband wants us to be in Auckland with him. My daughter and I didnt get the visa at the time of JSV of my hubby. Please share your personal experience if any. Now this new phase of wait is killing me.

Regards,

Parus

Congratulations to the family on his job!

Your husband did not need to contact his original CO for this - with the job in NZ, he should have taken the job offer, contract, etc., to the nearest INZ office in NZ. It is possible that some of the wait now is with London INZ branch having to try to contact the right branch in NZ, and he can maybe shorten things by talking to whatever branch is near him in NZ.
    My daughter and I didnt get the visa at the time of JSV of my hubby.
    No, of course you didn't - that is absolutely normal. The whole point of the SMC JSV is for the main applicant to go alone and concentrate all their time and resources on getting a skilled job. As soon as they do that and get their deferred Residence, then their partner and any children who were on the original SMC application get their Residence, too, and can join them.

This may seem harsh, but it was a rule change in response to what had become an even harsher problem. Under the old regulations, when a family was allowed to go with a JSV holder, they would find a home, maybe the partner, on an open visa, would find a job, and the children would settle into school. But if, in nine months, the JSV holder had NOT got a skilled job, they would all be told to leave the country. Of course, it was a heartbreaking thing for this group of people, having to tear up the life they had begun to make for themselves, and even worse if, despite all warnings, they had sold up their home in their original country and now had nothing to go back to. That is why the law is now as it is.

In your husband's place, I would go to INZ in New Zealand and ask them what can be done. As soon as he can show them proof he is working, his and your Residence visas can be issued. (It is Residence you will have. PR is a different visa that you can't get till after two years on Residence.)

Thanks J&M for ur detailed reply. My hubby will coordinate wid akl inz office. But I couldn't ur point PR is different than residence. One more question I need to ask my hubby's passport is abt to expire in March 2015. Does that make any difference?
    Regards,
    Parus

On the matter of Residence and PR visas - official word.
    http://www.dol.govt.nz/immigration/k...base/item/3704
    http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...quirements.htm

Your husband's passport will obviously have to be renewed. If the Residence visa is in the old passport, he will have to pay a fee to have it transferred to the new one. But I've just had a further thought, that it's possible he may not need to pay if the conditional Residence is in the old one, only he then fulfils the condition (having worked in the job for three months), when normally INZ would put the unconditional Residence visa, without charge, in the same passport, if by then he's got the new passport. This is something I think he'll have to ask INZ about.

Hi All,

I am just wondering as our CO (in London branch) is not responding to
    our case for approval, do the INZ office in Auckland can take any
    decision on our deferred SMC application? As my husband got his 1st
    Salary from his employer and he can also provide other documents to
    them (i.e job contract, IRD etc). Somebody told us that INZ will wait
    till your CO responds as the final decision is of CO. is that true?
    regards,
    Parus

This matter is supposed to be dealt with by the nearest INZ office in NZ. It's not anything to do with your original CO, in whatever office dealt with the country you used to live in, any more.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    This matter is supposed to be dealt with by the nearest INZ office in NZ. It's not anything to do with your original CO, in whatever office dealt with the country you used to live in, any more.
    Hi J&M,

Finally CO has replied by saying he has recommended our case for further processing. And his colleague will check the quality. I dont know wat thats really mean...still in state of uncertainty :-P but atleast we r going for next step.

Regards,
    Parus