Thread: CO verification with employers

Default CO verification with employers

Hi All,

Do CO's get in touch with our current employers ? Did they check with our bosses for the veracity of the roles and responsibility letter which we have provided earlier? Kindly advice and thanks in advance.

Can anyone narrate their experience?

Hi,

Yes, As per my knowledge they get in touch with your current employer. We recently got our resident visa approved and our application was processed in Mumbai branch.
    In our case, According to what we heard, someone from INZ had physically visited my husband's office to verify the information provided in the reference letter. ( I guess this was only with the current employer. We didn't hear anything from other companies he worked)
    I have been following this forum since last year but have never heard of such visit for verification. (We were quite surprised when we heard about it. )

So I don't think it is the regular practice in all INZ offices but as per my knowledge, at least they do a telephonic verification with your company.
    I hope these information would be helpful to you

18.03.2014 EOI lodged with 135 marks without a job offer
    10.04.2014 ITA recieved
    24.07.2014 SMC Visa application lodged
    29.07.2014 Application recieved by INZ
    20.08.2014 Case officer allocated
    18.11.2014 Visa Interview with the CO
    19.11.2014 AIP letter received
    26.11.2014 Migrant levy and pssports submitted to TT services
    01.12.2014 Blue stickers
    Last edited by YNJ; 12th December 2014 at 03:51 PM. Reason: typo

Thanks for the information YNJ.

Can you please tell me more about the Visa interview process if possible? Is it telephonic or physical one-to-one interview.?
    Last edited by vitajaj; 12th December 2014 at 08:06 PM.

Hi,

Our case officer verified my current employment by email. She emailed our HRM to authenticate my experience letter.

Regards,

Hi vitajaj,

Our interview was over the phone. The CO interviewed my husband first for about 20 - 30 minutes (he is the primary applicant) and then she talked with me for two three minutes. It was more like a chat. Not a formal interview.
    But she specifically asked questions to cover following topics.
    1. Our employment prospects (the knowledge on the job market and ways of getting a job etc etc..)
    2. Familiarity with New Zealand (refer NZ Now website)
    3. What steps we have been taken to prepare for looking for employment and settling in New Zealand (make your CV to suit NZ, apply for some jobs, get an idea of your field)
    4. Our support network in New Zealand.(be ready with list of contacts)

Almost all the questions she asked was in the lists which you can find in this forum.
    The answers you give must be solid and truthful because that is how you have to convince them that you are worth giving visa. :-)

The answers you give have an effect on the decision of your application. What I feel is, it is more easier if you prepare yourself with answers and be truthful when you answer.

If you claim points on your partner's qualifications you both need to be prepared.

This might sound crazy to you but we went through the lists of questions which have been posted here and prepared ourselves with our own answers. Then my Husband and I practiced the answers two three times asking questions from each other. That is how we got ourselves prepared and it really helped us to avoid unnecessary, lengthy answers. On the other hand such practice will bring your confidence level up (There is nothing wrong in being prepared to achieve your goal :-))

So if I talk about our experience, even though we prepared with long elaborative answers, our CO wanted very short answers, not more than 2-3 words. But my advise to you is, be prepared with elaborative answers but when you go through them, also try to summarize your answers to two three words just in case if you were asked to give short answers.

We went through the Immi NZ website and NZnow, to find information. I can assure you that those sites are really helpful when you prepare yourself for the interview. in the mean time make a list of your contacts available with you. our CO only asked to email us the list.

They specially check on the employment aspect of the primary applicant. I would suggest you to go through the websites of accredited employers list in the Immi NZ web site to get an idea of your field and the job market. (our's is IT) Sometimes you might as-well find job opportunities when you visit those sites. Do not hesitate to apply Then apply for some suitable jobs in recruitment sites. get yourself registered in professional associations related to your field. Those you can mention when it comes to the steps you have been taken to find jobs.

Be ready to explain your migration plan. This was the only elaborative answer our CO wanted from us. You could be able to explain why you plan your migration in that way and It has to be realistic. (For example, we planned my husband to move first and stay with a friend and start looking for jobs. Then I will follow him when he gets a job and gets himself settled with a job and a place to stay. When our CO asked why we thought to do so, we explained her that it will save us some money to go ahead with our future settlement plans such as buying a car, or renting a house)

Always expect different accents and don't be nervous if your CO interrupts while you answer.(The CO might need to type what you are saying as the answer in the middle of the conversation) Ask him/her to repeat the question politely before you answer, if you do not get the question right.

I hope these tips would help you in preparation. Do not hesitate to throw us questions here also if you have any. We are more than happy to be of an assistance.
    I will try to attach some of our answers here if possible.
    :-)
    good luck

Thanks YNJ