Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Could you live off of owning a small dairy?

Default Could you live off of owning a small dairy?

I'm a junior in high school, I made a previous post here about my interest in moving and I know this is WAAAY too far to think about it.. but... I am working a part-time job now, and am saving up basically every penny I get. Not to mention, I may be getting inheritance from our home which would be a very good amount to start with. I am just curious: how would the process be for a non-citizen be to open up a business? Are there business visa's? And how much do you think a dairy owner would potentially make per month? I know it all depends on the location. If I were to do this, then I'd most likely only do it in Invercargill or Dunedin because it is much much much cheaper in terms of everything. I am just curious, this is like 10-20 years from now anyway. Replies would be appreciated! Also I realize that I'd have to factor in paying one or two employees (and that NZ's minimum wage of $15 could probably interfere with profits). I've also been looking at TradeMe at dairys across the Southern part of the South Island in the cities (Dunedin, Timaru, Ashburton and Invercargill mainly and some in Christchurch). I saw a lot of little dairys for sale for less than NZ$85,000. Also I probably wouldn't only own a dairy, but it would be a great thing to make a small amount of cash from.

Link to my old post: http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=45091&
    Last edited by Huckleberry; 17th December 2014 at 01:45 PM.

When you talk about 'a small dairy', are you speaking American or NZ English? That is, do you mean you want to raise cattle, or own a neighbourhood shop?

I would think he's talking about a neighbourhood shop because I can't see anyone buying a dairy farm for 85K.

There was a time when the corner shop or dairy was a good little money spinner. These days with the advent of supermarkets, a buyer has to be very careful when he/she buys and profit on this type of business has taken a big hit.. You certainly wouldn't want to be close to the opposition.
    But who knows 10years down the track and things might have changed again.

I mean a convinience store. I know in New Zealand English they call it a dairy. Another thing is, I'd want to own a small dairy to generate some extra income because I would also work a part-time job at a Countdown or something like that. I also plan on furthering my education in NZ. I will be attending college here in the US for 1-2 years, but may have to stay for the full four years and then make the move. I want to become a lawyer, but I don't want to practice in this country. Things are way too complicated here mostly because it's such a huge country with way too many people for me. Not to mention, the tuitions I could never afford - nor could my parents. My credit rating would be so terrible. In NZ I read how the government gives 0% interest loans to foreign students, which is simply unheard of. Law school in my state would cost me well over $90,000 per year with 2%-7% interest rates. While in NZ, I'd be paying $45,000-50,000 annually. HUGE difference. Only problem is if I become a lawyer in NZ, I cant take my career back to the US. I suppose I can have a backup career though. My goal is to eventually have dual US-NZ citizenship. I'm already a US citizen by the way.

In NZ I read how the government gives 0% interest loans to foreign students, which is simply unheard of.
    Where did you read this?

You are extremly unlikely to get a business visa to run a dairy. You have to be a citizen or resident to qualify for a student loan.

Go to college, get a degree, come over here on a WHV, get a job, get a work permit, get residency.

Are there business visa's?
    The INZ website is your friend. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...eneurworkvisa/
    In NZ I read how the government gives 0% interest loans to foreign students, which is simply unheard of.
    http://www.studylink.govt.nz/student-loan/ See the section Who can get Student Loan.

Quote Originally Posted by Beachcombers View Post
    You are extremly unlikely to get a business visa to run a dairy. You have to be a citizen or resident to qualify for a student loan.

Go to college, get a degree, come over here on a WHV, get a job, get a work permit, get residency.
    I agree.

I'm no longer thinking troll. The OP is clearly an internet scammer. Mods: apologies if I've broken any forum rules. Is: " many of the OP's posts make him/her look like an internet scammer" allowed?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast