Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wellington or Auckland?

Default Wellington or Auckland?

hi folks,

well we're on our SMC visa processing and though there are still a lot of uncertainty on wether or not we will be approved, I just want to have a fixed mind on where to settle in case we get lucky.

So my primary options are Wellington an Auckland..but which is which?

the things im considering for settling are 1. lots of job opportunities 2. low cost of living and 3. friendly neighborhood.

if there are other great places that i should start considering, im open for suggestions. =)

Wellington !
    Has all three elements you're considering
    But, I guess it depends on the industry you work in - that might make a difference as to where is better for you.

Good luck with your application.

Quote Originally Posted by wellywearer View Post
    Wellington !
    Has all three elements you're considering
    But, I guess it depends on the industry you work in - that might make a difference as to where is better for you.

Good luck with your application.

thanks wellywearer. im an industrial engineer by profession. so its wellington -1 and auckland - 0. =)

by the way, how long did you find a job from the time you arrived at wellington?

Wellington, though I'm completely biased. Was out for work at Christmas drinks at the St George the other night (on the waterfront) and it was absolutely idyllic. Everyone lazing on the lawn as the sun was setting, chilled and happy people. They say you can't beat Welly on a good day - and they aren't lying. I think Wellington is a sublimely special place to live. It's full of smart, liberal, educated people. Though I swear the beards on the hipsters are getting longer.

Quote Originally Posted by autumn View Post
    thanks wellywearer. im an industrial engineer by profession. so its wellington -1 and auckland - 0. =)

by the way, how long did you find a job from the time you arrived at wellington?
    hi there,
    my partner had a position lined up and I found one quickly, but I'm not sure what an industrial engineer does so can't give you any pointers

Quote Originally Posted by dede View Post
    Wellington, though I'm completely biased. Was out for work at Christmas drinks at the St George the other night (on the waterfront) and it was absolutely idyllic. Everyone lazing on the lawn as the sun was setting, chilled and happy people. They say you can't beat Welly on a good day - and they aren't lying. I think Wellington is a sublimely special place to live. It's full of smart, liberal, educated people. Though I swear the beards on the hipsters are getting longer.
    great post I could imagine it completely.

Quote Originally Posted by dede View Post
    I thought the St George was on Willis Street. Did you mean St Johns? It certainly is lovely on a summer's evening sipping a glass or two and watching the world go by :-)

Auckland.

Most of the amenities of a major world city, but much more manageable size-wise. Direct flights to more interesting places.

Quote Originally Posted by cappuccino View Post
    I thought the St George was on Willis Street. Did you mean St Johns? It certainly is lovely on a summer's evening sipping a glass or two and watching the world go by :-)
    My bad. You are right. Must have been drinking too much of the pinot gris.

Auckland has an easier climate with warmer summers (though sudden downpours of rain are not uncommon), milder winters and less wind. It also has better job opportunities, higher incomes, better access to international air-links, is more ethnically diverse. Tempering that is that housing is very expensive by world standards, inequality is greater (leading to associated social problems, particularly in South Auckland) high levels of traffic and poor public transport links (though these are rapidly improving) can make moving around the city a frustrating exercise.

Wellington is infamous for its wind and summers can be unsettled but on a nice day, the city can be sublime. Access to the outdoors is easier with fantastic walking, trail running and mountain biking opportunities available in the green belt and hills that surround the city. Multiple-day hikes and deer hunting can be accessed an hour's drive away. Wellington has a compact CBD that generates quite a buzz (high concentration of music venues, bars, restaurants etc) whereas economic activity in Auckland is spread out over a much bigger area which dilutes this to some extent. There are plenty of friendly neighbourhoods in Wellington and the level social problems, crime, burglary etc is lower compared to Auckland

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast