Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: rental agencies

Michele,

Our last agency we rented through (in the UK) called us "Grubby"! Our landlord here called us "perfect tenants"! We honestly behaved no differently.

The place where we were called grubby was a brand new house - and yes - the owner wanted it to stay brand new and did not want to accept that this was a bit daft. The agency were terrible about it - and I felt that they were causing a problem where there neednt have been one.

Our landlord here kept back $150, becasue I wanted to pay to have cleaners in. I only did this because they had cleaned the place before we went in, and I thought thye did a top job - and I couldnt be bothered.

He was a great landlord, and I would recommend him to anyone who wants a Wellington City apartment for about $550 a week !

The important thing to note whether UK or NZ that most rental (letting) agents are muppets.

I was renting in the UK for about 8 years, without exception the rental agents were a nightmare. I'm no angel but I did expect to be treated like an adult especially when I'm paying alot of money for rent. One of my biggest bugbears was neighbours - I lived in one place where the couple next door complained that we walk up our stairs too loudly. Instead of knocking at the door and asking us to be a bit quieter they complained directly to the letting agents *sigh*. I've yet to find a decent rental agent.

My recommendation would be to rent from a private landlord/lady. Yes there are some dodgy ones out there but at leasr unlike a rental agent they have a vested interest in the property.

We are probably going to rent for a while when we first move to NZ so I'm hoping we get a nice landlord/lady.

Rgds.,
    Nick.

Landlords? Don't talk to me about landlords...

I've always had problems with them...either them or agencies...I think the very title goes to their heads to be honest.

It's funny how they're immediately available if the slightest hiccup occurs with paying the rent, but dissappear completely if something needs fixing. One place I lived at in the UK developed a huge hole in the kitchen ceiling one particularly stormy night ( after weeks of me telling him there was a prob with the roof), and water was flooding through the light sockets & pouring down the walls. We were on the phone straight away but he refused to do anything about it, saying he'd had quotes & it was too expensive to fix!!
    I notified the city council ( as it was in fact a listed building) and refused to pay any more rent until he'd sorted it out. That got him straight round, threatening all sorts of court action...but the Enviromental Health people saw it our way.

I could go on & on here with old war stories...another place wanted to charge me 100 quid out of the bond for replacing 2 light bulbs!! I suggested that I'd nip up to Tescos & get them for about six quid, but no..they wouldn't have it. So, since I actually knew the new tenants, I spoke to them , gave them the money for new bulbs & eventually got my full bond back. Bloody crooks!

We're just moving out of our place now and, although the landlady has been quite good with us, even she started to get crabby about little things like some rust on the oven ( I mean, this thing is an antique!). They just don't seem to want to play fair when it comes to giving you your money back & all notions of "wear & tear" seem to go out the window.

Unfortunately, the law is heavily stacked in their favour...as I've found to my cost in the past...so tread carefully.

Quote Originally Posted by dave k
    Unfortunately, the law is heavily stacked in their favour...as I've found to my cost in the past...so tread carefully.
    For every tenant who says this you'll find an equally vehament landlord who says that the odds are stacked in the other direction.

I've heard dreadful stories about how tenants have been ripped off, but also others where property owners have been hung out to dry by tenants who won't pay the rent and do terrible damage to properties.

Many of us have seen things from both sides of the fence and understand abuses can occur from both angles with the law always seeming to support the party who would clearly be fingered by most people as being in the wrong. (Perhaps we only get to hear of such instances - no one being prepared to front up with loud pubicity on an issue where they're clearly in the wrong).

Last year much publicity was given to a Chch family who made a hobby of moving from let to let, never paying rent after the first couple of weeks and trashing the places they lived in before moving on. They tricked their way into properties by forging references and so on. But once they were in the law couldn't or wouldn't get them out even though they had only been accepted under false pretences. The big pubicity resulted from when one landlord found out she had been tricked and proceeded to go round, let herself in with her spare key, move all the contents of the house onto the pavement and change the locks. About 5% of people thought that she was in the wrong.

For many people in NZ a rental property or two is the equivalent of a personal pension in the UK - these people aren't multi-millionaire Rachmans who run property empires, but ordinary people investing for their retirements.

We too are in a rental and have an inspection every three months. To be honest it supprised me at first when they told me that they will be doing this, but when they told me it was what they do to all of the properties they managed, it didn't really bother me. The agent just sends me a letter a week or so before hand to let me know she is coming, she can just let herself in if I am out, so I don't have to stay in and wait, and can honestly say I have not had any probs. Just get a letter a few days after thanking me etc for looking after the property. We have had a few problems with the 'agent' at the beginning of the tenency but apart from that all good so far. Lets see if I am still this happy when I want my bond back

Joanne

Is this link any good? http://www.dbh.govt.nz/housing/tenancy/

It's who is holding our bond.I've had a quick look and seems a good site with pro forma letters etc and mediation.

Deborah

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12